"File doesn't exist" Hangs NP++

elorg
2014-03-25
2014-11-12
  • elorg
    elorg
    2014-03-25

Well, I'm not sure that it's actually technically "hung"? Task manager shows that it's fine until I eventually try to right-click and "close" on the icon in the start bar, then it becomes unresponsive until I force quit it.

If I open a file in NP++, then the file is deleted or moved - I'm totally hosed. It prompts me with the "the file doesn't exist, do you want to keep it open" pop-up, but it won't allow me to do anything at all from then on. And I mean anything. I can't use my mouse to click on any part of the popup or the application window and have any impact whatsoever. Keyboard shortcuts don't do anything either. At best, I can go to task manager and try to bring the app to the foreground. But that's it. I can't even minimize/maximize via task manager. The only thing that I do is force quit the app. :(

This is not an issue if a file is updated while I have it open. I can say yes/no to that prompt without issues.

I have Windows 8.1 x64 and was running NP++ 5.2.8 or something. Upgraded to the latest - 6.5.5 this morning, but that didn't make a difference.

I like the file monitoring and don't want to disable it, but I will if I have to. This has happened at least 5 or 6 times now over the last 2-3 months? The first couple of times I lost a lot of unsaved notes, but I've now started saving everything, all the time, just in case.

• cchris
    cchris
    2014-03-30

I jyst tried that with the exact same configuration as you. No hanging at all, everything working as expected.
    Is your file on a remote drive by any chance?
    Are such plugins like Explorer or Light Explorer loaded?
    Are some extra docked windows like FunctionList or DocumentMap open?

CChris

• Isaac Supeene
    Isaac Supeene
    2014-11-12

I'm experiencing the same problem on version 6.6.9, Windows 8.1 x64.