2. Help
Garry
2011-03-02
2013-07-17
  • Garry
    Garry
    2011-03-02

Can anyone help with the following?
    After upgrading  to v5.8.7, I get the error "ScintillaEditview::init SCINTILLA ERROR  - Cannot load dynamic library"
    when I double click on a TXT file. M/S note pad had been replaced with Notepad++. Using XP.
    Thanks

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-03-03

You should have a copy of SciLexer.dll of the proper version in the same folder as notepad++.exe. Either N++ can't find it or it is corrupt.

CChris

• Alan D.
    Alan D.
    2011-03-15

1+

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2011-10-02

i get the same issue, but i've JUST upgraded to 5.9.3. The problem happens intermittently, but once it starts, it keeps happening.

I get the error in outlook when clicking VIEW SOURCE, or when double clicking on a .TXT file, BUT ONLY IF NOTEPAD++ IS NOT ALREADY OPEN. if open, no errors, and life is good.

It does not happen when VIEW SOURCE in internet explorer is clicked; notepad++ DOES open with the source of the html page.

i'm running windows 7.

• Ivan
    Ivan
    2011-10-02

BTW, it was happening BEFORE the upgrade to 5.9.3 (i was on 5.8.7), so it doesn't appear related to the upgrade.

I did notice that it *seemed* to have started after applying the following windows updates:
    Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in, updates for Win 7 (KB2547666, KB890830, KB2541014).

I know it was working properly within in last week, and i didn't apply any windows updates for the past month, until today. (guess that will teach me. LoL)

• NetRage
    NetRage
    2011-11-01

I was having this problem and copying the dll into the directories that I had copied notepad++ into fixed the issue for me. Thanks!

• Kurt Fitzner
    Kurt Fitzner
    2012-01-06

The DLL error is something I would call a bug in Notepad++.  It is because when Notepad++ is loading the DLL, it incorrectly specifies that Windows should only look for the DLL in Notepad++'s local directory rather than allowing it to be loaded from any directory on the system path.  This is probably a bug, but it may have been done intentionally.  In which case, well, I'd still call it a bug since it's a design flaw that is so bad it's on the level of a bug.  :)

Notepad++ also does not look for plugins anywhere except in its local directory, rather than looking in the registry to see where the installation directory is and looking there.  So you cannot replace the Windows notepad.exe with notepad++ and have it load plugins normally.  This is just a normal design flaw.

For people who want to physically replace the stock Windows notepad.exe with Notepad++, a workaround for both issues (DLL load error and the lack of plugins) that doesn't require you to toss DLL copies all over your system is this:

1. Download Bat To Exe Converter
      Compile the following batch file with the options set to "invisible program":

@ECHO OFF
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%
      CD "%ProgramFiles%\Notepad++"
      START notepad++.exe %*

That assumes, of course, that you installed Notepad++ on your system drive in the system's program files directory under Notepad++.

1. Call the compiled batch file "notepad.exe" and use it to replace your system notepad.exe using the method for Windows XP or Windows Vista+ as required.

• Dave Wilbur
    Dave Wilbur
    2013-07-17

Thank you Kurt!