Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

"Find in Files" not working no results no hits

2. Help
Geroge
2014-04-18
2014-04-19
  • Geroge
    Geroge
    2014-04-18

I can't get "Find in Files" to work. I've used this successfully in the past, but I'm having a mental block and can't get it to work.

I can find results if the files searched are simple text files (a .csv, for instance).
    But Notepad++ won't find results in Excel files. I know the value is there, I can see it.

Please don't tell me Notepad++ won't search within Ms-Office (or other, non-text) files? I don't recall that limitation in the past.

I am getting the same problem on Notepad++ 5.9.x, 6.1.x and 6.5.5. Must be a user error. But what?!

I even read the Notepad++ help files, but no mention there of any limitations on what kind of file types Notepad++ will search. I looked for similar forum topics, didn't find any. :(

• StanE
    StanE
    2014-04-18

Prior Excel 2007 the files were saved in a binary proprietary format. I don't know how it is built up exactly, but the contents where directly written in the file side by side with other binary data, so you could find words inside such files. Since version 2007 the data is stored in multiple XML files but all those files are compressed as ZIP (*.xlsx files are ZIP files). So it is not possible to search inside new Excel files, since they are compressed.

You can try that out by opening a file (were Notepad++ does not find anything inside) in Excel and save it in the old format (*.xls).

Last edit: StanE 2014-04-18
  • StanE
    StanE
    2014-04-19

Maybe the developers could add an option like "[x] Decompress archives" in the search window but I don't think they will do it. But who knows? You can create a feature request here if you want.