Ok, so I have determined this isn't actually a Notepad++ specific error, but I'm asking here since I know there should be plenty of knowledgeable people here that should be able to help me figure this out.
Ok so, I have some settings files from an MMO game that I play and do testing for also. Well, anytime I try to view these files directly via Notepad++ (or regular Notepad also, for that fact..), the Chinese text contained in them shows up "encoded" I guess you could say. But, if I go and upload them (or even just parts of them) to a Google Docs spreadsheet, then it actually shows the Chinese instead, and not just the encoding.
So anytime I want/need to view those and read the text on them, I am forced to make a new spreadsheet and upload the info I need just to view/translate it. Which, as I'm sure you can imagine, is RATHER a pain in the ass more often then not..
Ok so, just to clear up a couple things so you can eliminate them from the "possible cause" list:
I just now changed the extension to .txt, and found out that the files are ANSI and not Unicode, I suppose that that is probably the issue..
But, a better question I guess would be, is there any way that I can make them display the Chinese text properly in Notepad++ without having to convert them all to Google Docs?
Thanks, any help/advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Is choosing correct encoding (from n++ menu) for Chinese characters not working for you? I have never tried for Chinese but tried for other languages' encoding, the files are displayed correctly.
And the promotional stuff :)
You might consider using Translate plugin using which you can view the translation of selected text if that might help you in some scenario.
(Hoping to get the chinese translation feedback as well for the plugin :) )
Well, I figured that a good way to see if it was b/c I had the wrong encoding set in Notepad++ would be to copy/paste some actual Chinese from one of my Google Docs, and see if it displayed correctly. And well, it did actually. But only in that scenario unfortunately.. =/
If you could attach (excerpts of) an offending file as an attachment, I'm sure a number of persons, Don not being the least, would easiy find out what the issue is.
If using excerpts, then some encoding BOM might be lost. But you say they are probably ANSI, so perhaps not a roblem.
Ok, I've attached an example file here. They are normally .ini files, but I have to change the extension to .txt before uploading to google docs to see past the encoding.
I'm getting the attached picture when I choose ANSI encoding with character encoding Big5 (Traditional), with vanilla Arial font. I have no idea whether the displayed characters make sense, at least they look like Chinese. Perhaps this will give you a clue.
Ohh, thank you so much Chris! That's one thing I'm not very familiar with is character encoding. I could swear though that I had tried Big5 though already, but maybe I didn't have it ANSI encoded at the time I tried also, not really sure. But I have it now, when I make sure it's ANSI encoded then choose Big5 (Traditional), I come out with the picture below. And thanks again for your help good sir.