Menu

replace text with CR LF characters

fabertel
2008-12-31
2012-11-13
  • fabertel

fabertel - 2008-12-31

hi ! is there a way to replace text with CR LF [Carriage Return/Linefeed] characters ?
    how ?

thanks
    Fabio

• Airdrik

Airdrik - 2009-01-08

Open the find/replace dialog.
      At the bottom will be some Search mode options.  Select "Extended (\n \r \t \0 \x...)"

In either the Find what or the Replace with field entries, you can use the following escapes:
      \n  new line (LF)
      \r   carriage return (CR)
      \t   tab character
      \0  null character
      \xddd   special character with code ddd

• Raúl Mateos

Raúl Mateos - 2009-05-05

Hi!

I have Notepad++ 5.3.1, WinXP SP3

I have tried to do some replacement in a file with text and a lot of NUL chars.
        I've tried to replace using extended search  the char \0 with anything (space, tabs, other character...), and then selecting "Replace All" and I get an error: "The regular expresion to search is formed badly"

Any help

• Fool4UAnyway

Fool4UAnyway - 2009-05-05

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LOOK BEFORE POSTING (AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN...)

The following thread is on the very same forum, was started a few days ago, and is not that far from the top of the list:

"  How to replace a character with a line break?" (Help Forum)
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=3255834&forum_id=331754

• cchris

cchris - 2009-05-06

Concerning the NUL characters, they should be entered as \x00. \0 is a construct that makes sense in regular expressions only. Also, make sure the search mode is Extended.

CChris

• Raúl Mateos

Raúl Mateos - 2009-05-14

Thanks Christian, but I'm also unable to replace using \x00 instead \0. Also tried the three search modes: Normal, Extended and Regular Expression. No luck