[BUG] LUA-Style multiline comments in UDL

2. Help
2012-12-12
2012-12-12
  • Hello, I am trying to define a custom language based mostly on LUA, and, as some of you might know, this language defines multiline comments to begin with the "--[[" sequence of characters, and to end with "]]". The problem is, though, that single-line comments begin with "--", and this makes the language interpreter think the multiline comment is just a comment line, and it doesn't process it further. Is there a way to fix this behaviour?

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-12-12

Hi Riccardo,

Try to use delimiters to define your comment sequences.

Multi-line comments as Delimiter1:
    Open: --[[

Close: ]]

Line comments as Delimiter2:
    Open: --
    Close:((EOL))

You can use any Delimiter (not just 1 and 2), but make sure Multi-line comments are defined first (because that will trigger multi-lines comments before single line comments)

BR,
    Loreia

• Hello Loreia,
    thank you for your support. Setting it up as you said did the trick, but this really looks like just a workaround and not the way to handle it properly. Also, there seems to be a strange issue in defining single-line comment delimiters: when writing a comment, it considers EVERYTHING above it as part of the comment (folding-wise, but the colors are okay), so a + appears on the left and if I press on it, it just collapses everything from that point until the EOF... it is pretty annoying. It's not much of an issue, I know, but it still looks like a bug to me.
    Best regards,

Riccardo

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-12-12

Hi Riccardo,

that definitively sounds like a bug.
    Can you share a screen capture of that error?
    And a small code sample that would be enough to reproduce the issue.
    Add also your userDefineLang.xml file.

Setting it up as you said did the trick, but this really looks like just a workaround and not the way to handle it properly.

This is a feature of delimiter type, not a hack or workaround. Next version of UDL will have comments removed completely, delimiters will be used instead.

BR,
    Loreia