7-Zip archive and Notepad++ incompatibility

2. Help
user901
2011-11-30
2012-11-13
  • user901
    user901
    2011-11-30

There appears to be a bug in Notepad++ that makes it fail to interact correctly with 7-Zip File Manager.  When I open a 7Z Archive folder in 7-Zip and click on a text file (file.txt) to view it, it opens in Notepad++, but after being open for roughly 30 seconds, I get a message in notepad++ saying that the file no longer exists and it asks whether I want to keep it open in Notepad++.  If I keep it open and make any changes to it, I cannot save it back to the original file location, the one I opened it from in the archive, and Notepad++ tells me that the file is already open somewhere else with another application.  Huh?

This does not happen with, for example, Windows regular Notepad: I can open an archive, make changes to files in it and save them, and, as I do so, the 7-Zip program advises me properly that the original file has been changed and asks me whether I want to update the archive with it or save it to a new name.

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-12-01

Never had this happening… Is your 7-zip version current? Upgrading from an old version got me rid of a number of issues with updating archive contents.

CChris

• user901
    user901
    2011-12-01

it's current at v 9.2, and i got it here: http://www.7-zip.org/.  perhaps this apparent bug is caused by the presence of other plugins?  It does not happen outside of np+, so it must be caused by some factor within its space.  it is unfortunate, but it does make me more aware of the presence of temp files and such from 7Z

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-12-11

I just tried with these versions of the softwares. I didn't get any deleted tempfile warning. I waited a while, edited and aved. Then a message box popped up asking me whether I wanted to update the archive. Saying yes did the expected thing.

CChris

• Anonymous
    2012-10-26

I have the same problem using 7-Zip 64bit