Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Notepad++ Array find and replace

2. Help
2012-01-23
2012-11-13
  • Hello, i was wondering if there is a way to search in an array and replace the searched words with something else.

Like:

Find:

WORD1 || WORD2 || WORD3

Replace with:

WORD4 || WORD5 || WORD6

Is it possible?
    If not, could you include such a feature? :)

• cchris
    cchris
    2012-01-25

The shor answer is no.
    A longer answer is that Scintilla does not support aternation in regular expressions. This issue will go the day N++ uses a different search engine - pcre being the one that makes the moore sense.
    An even longer answer is that, since searching/replacing pairs can be done by iterating over a list of pairs, you can do it with a script in one of the languages for which there are plugins available: Python, PHP and JavaScript at least.

CChris

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2012-10-04

Hello thekiller92,

From the 6.0 version of Notepad++, SEVERAL searched words can
      be CHANGED in SEVERAL replacement words, at the SAME TIME !

We must use a special syntax, in the replacement part :

FIND                :  (WORD1)|(WORD2)|(WORD3)…

REPLACE      :  (?1WORD4)(?2WORD5)(?3WORD6)…

Some explanations :

The words WORD1, WORD2 and WORD3 are stored as GROUPS 1, 2 and 3

If we find WORD1, it's replaced by WORD4, the part AFTER ?1 and BEFORE the ENDING parenthesis

If we find WORD2, it's replaced by WORD5, the part AFTER ?2 and BEFORE the ENDING parenthesis

If we find WORD3, it's replaced by WORD6, the part AFTER ?3 and BEFORE the ENDING parenthesis

For example, the line   :   WORD3  WORD2  WORD1  WORD3  WORD1  WORD2

would be changed in   :   WORD6  WORD5  WORD4  WORD6  WORD4  WORD5

The general form of a CONDITIONNAL REPLACEMENT is :

(?n___THEN part___:___ELSE part___)  and means :

- if GROUP n EXISTS,           EVERYTHING BETWEEN ?n and the COLON :                                          is written, in replacement

- if GROUP n DON'T EXIST, EVERYTHING BETWEEN the COLON : and the ENDING parenthesis is written, in replacement

You can find some documentation, about the new PRCE Regular Expressions, used by N++ at the
      two adresses below :

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax/perl_syntax.html

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/format/boost_format_syntax.html

Also, I've made a TUTORIAL, about the PCRE Regular Expressions ( Perl Common Regular Expressions ),
      used in Notepad++, from the 6.0 version.

As I'm French, all this manual is written in French. but you can find out some tricks or explanations
      in all the lists and examples, all along this tutorial.

Christian Cuvier ( cchris ), a very well-known contributer, allowed me to put my tutorial on his personnel site.

So, you can download this TUTORIAL, in 3 versions, (.txt .pdf .html), at the address below :

http://oedoc.free.fr/Regex/TutorielRegex.zip

I hope it'll be useful to you

Cheers

guy038