Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Context menu - open in new instance

2. Help
2008-04-30
2012-11-13
  • I know there have been a lot of discussions already about having a multiple windows option in npp, I don't want to revisit that.

What I need some help with is how to create a context menu for files to be opened in a separate instance of npp (which basically is like open in a new window).

I tried to straight up regedit but it did not work or my programming skills arent up to the task of making it work.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad\command]
    @="C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe %1"

Another (better) option would probably to be editing the Context Menu dll file. Please help and thanks in advance

• Philip
      Philip
      2008-06-24

Hi everyone,

I would like to do the same thing, add an entry to the context menu such as "Edit in a new Notepad++".
      The thing is, I can't find the path you are refering to in the registry.

In "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*" I have "OpenWithList" and "shellex" and the only thing related to Np++ is in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Notepad++" where there is what seems to be an ID.

There are so many shell entries in the registry, I don't want to try and guess to avoid messing it up.
      Can anyone help please?

Thanks...

• This should work:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open with Notepad\command]
      @="C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" -multiInst "%1"

keep the %1 in its own quotes, filenames with spaces work better that way, I think.

• Or name it alternatively, like Open with new Notepad++, in order not to overwrite the current entry.