Search/Replace Regular Expressions Issue

2006-07-05
2012-11-13
  • I am using Notepad ++ 3.7 and for some reason the search/replace functionality with regular expressions is not working. I have the Regular expression check box checked and tested out the expression I am trying to run in a regex tester so I know it is correct. When I run it in Notepad++ i get "cannot find the word" when I click replace and 0 tokens found when i click replace all. Is there some other settings that need to be enabled in order for this to work? Thanks in advance

• Even a simple search don't work for me :( Sometime, very rarely, it work.. but 98% of time, I've got a message telling that no match was found :(

Do some one know about it ?

• I am having the same issue in Notepad++ 3.6 and 3.8.  What am I missing to get regular expressions to work?

• Robert Futrell
      Robert Futrell
      2006-07-31

Regex in NPP is fairly crippled, probably the worst problem it has is that it doesn't seem to recognize the newline character, '\n'.  So if your regex is multi-line, you can forget using it in NPP.

I've tried both '\n' and '\r\n' to match CR/LF pairs, and neither works.

• Robert Futrell
      Robert Futrell
      2006-07-31

Didn't mean to sound so down on NPP in the previous post, sorry.  Also, someone offers a workaround for this issue if you don't want to have to switch to another editor (and newlines in regexes are your problem):

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1423610&forum_id=331754