Help sort out my help... please

Moon
2014-07-23
2014-08-21
  • Moon

Moon - 2014-07-23

Hello everyone.

Short version:
    How please do I use the new sort function?
    How please do I enable the help search function?

More detail:
    I feel kind of stupid having to ask such things, but please be gentle and put me out of my misery...

I've just read that NPP now supports sorting, so thought it was time to upgrade.

I couldn't figure out how to do it, so went to menu ? -> Help Contents

This opens up "notepad-online-document.html", but weirdly it just seems to be a local set of plain HTML files... do I need to register an ActiveX component or something to enable search?
    Or is there a setting to get the help to search online somehow?

I even did "Find in Files" on the NPP documentation folder for "sort" and can't find any mention of the sort function.

I did find this very old post about NppHelp.chm...
    https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/331754/thread/2d807339
    but the link provided in the post just takes me back to the main NPP SourceForge page.

I used to use a plugin to do sorting, but I can't remember what it was called or even find a list of available plugins... is there such a thing anymore?

Thanks,
    moon

• Andreas Jonsson

Andreas Jonsson - 2014-07-23

Select the lines you want to sort, go to Edit -> Line operations and choose Sort lines in ascending or descending order. If you don't select any lines the entire file will be sorted.

• Moon

Moon - 2014-07-24

Thanks Andreas.
    Do you know if it's possible to make it case insensitive?

Just for the record, someone just pointed out to me that the sort functions are in the Shortcut Mapper.

• Moon

Moon - 2014-08-21

Just for the record, the TextFX plugin v0.26 still works with npp v6.6.8 so I can do case-insensitive sorts with that.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/files/TextFX/