Menu

High CPU 6.3.3 Unicode XP SP3

Michael
2013-06-27
2013-07-04
  • Michael

Michael - 2013-06-27

Occasionally, Notepad++ will max out one of my cores. Sometimes Notepad++ stops responding. Sometimes the CPU usage drops off after a moment. I just want to report the issue. But, I will try to dump it if I can catch it.

• Don HO

Don HO - 2013-06-27

Could you rename your plugins folder then relaunch Notepad++ in order to see if it remedies the problem?

Could you provide as well your plugins list?

Don

• Michael

Michael - 2013-06-28

Here is the list from Plugin Manager > Installed

Converter
      DSpellCheck
      NppExport
      NppFTP
      Plugin Manager
      QuickOpenPlugin
      ReloadButton
      Spell-Checker
      TextFX Characters

I will try renaming the folder.

Also, I was able to grab a few stacks today. These are all within a few seconds of each other while that thread was maxing a core. Let me know if there is something more I can do when it happens. I don't have much experience with profiling or debugging. HTH

USER32.dll!UserCallWinProcCheckWow+0x5b
      USER32.dll!DispatchClientMessage+0xa3
      USER32.dll!__fnDWORD+0x24
      ntdll.dll!KiUserCallbackDispatcher+0x13
      USER32.dll!NtUserDispatchMessage+0xc
      USER32.dll!DispatchMessageW+0xf
      USER32.dll!IsDialogMessageW+0x572
      notepad++.exe+0x50c3a

ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
      USER32.dll!NtUserCallMsgFilter+0xc
      USER32.dll!IsDialogMessageW+0x7c
      notepad++.exe+0x50c3a

USER32.dll!NtUserGetMessage+0xc
      notepad++.exe+0xbbb16

USER32.dll!NtUserCallMsgFilter+0xc
      USER32.dll!IsDialogMessageW+0x7c
      notepad++.exe+0x50c3a

• Predelnik

Predelnik - 2013-07-02

Have you tried renaming?
        Also you may check if the problem still exists in new 6.4.1 Notepad++ version.

• Michael

Michael - 2013-07-04

I did not experience the issue after renaming the plugin folder. That solution is good enough for me since I did not use any plugins.

• Predelnik

Predelnik - 2013-07-04

Well it's nice. Maybe it will do some good to find the cause of the problem anyway, to help other users experiencing it, but that's only if you feel like it and have time to do it of course)

• Frank Fesevur

Frank Fesevur - 2013-06-27

I had a similar problem recently. Moving DSpellcheck.dll to the disabled folder solved the problem for me. I use that plugin on my Win7 machine without a problem. Pure speculation, but could it be a problem when the plugin is not configured yet?

• Don HO

Don HO - 2013-06-27

Hi Frank,

Could you provide me your DSpellCheck.dll version?

Don

• Frank Fesevur

Frank Fesevur - 2013-06-27

My monitor at home broke yesterday so can not check it at the moment. But it happened when I upgraded to the most recent version of N++. Can't remember if the plugin manager upgraded it to a newer version of the plugin.

• Predelnik

Predelnik - 2013-06-27

By the way can you tell me is this issue happens only on the program start or not? Because I've found some weird stuff with setting window transparency on windows XP, I'll try to fix it, but it's important to know is this really issue on the start or not. Because other than that everything else works decent for me.

• Michael

Michael - 2013-06-28

My issue does not happen on start. I started Notepad++ several days ago. And it has gone through some sleep/wake cycles as I come and go from work. I only use it to update my task list and to examine XML files. It usually sits with a single new tab open. One thing I noticed today was that my issue coincided with me logging onto my main workstation remotely. Later, when I unlocked my workstation locally, Notepad++ was either still using or started using a core. That is when I grabbed those stacks.