find dialog box

2004-12-04
2012-11-13
  • Hi Don,

Excellent program !   Could I suggest that you change the Find dialog box to be like Firefox's find ?  The current implementation tends to block the highlighted entry if it happens to be underneath the dialog box, whereas in Firefox, theres a slim toolbar that appears at the bottom (which I incidentally would prefer to be at the top).

Also,  there's a 'highlight' extension that you could add to Firefox where it would color all instances of the search string.  This would be also excellent.

And one more thing ... I'm using v2.6 and I've noticed that the folding of each tab is now preserved.   Also love how I could specify which level to collapse/fold.  Excellent ! ... However, I've also noticed that folding is lost on some tabs whenever I open additional files (or is it that I am opening too many files).  Could you check and fix ?

Again, thanks for the great app!

• Steve Weixel
      Steve Weixel
      2004-12-07

I also like the idea of highlighting all matches in a search.  The Weblogic Workshop IDE does this too.  It also adds markings on the scrollbar that the user can click to instantly go to the particular line of a match.  This feature would be a great addition to notepad++. 

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2004-12-10

> whereas in Firefox, theres a slim toolbar that appears
      > at the bottom.

It's quite handy, agree with you. However, I won't do it because there're still a lot of tasks in priority.

> Also, there's a 'highlight' extension that you could add
      > to Firefox where it would color all instances of the
      > search string. This would be also excellent.

This feature is already in the find dialog.

> However, I've also noticed that folding is lost on
      > some tabs whenever I open additional files

Done! the correction will come up with the next release.

Don

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2004-12-11

>> However, I've also noticed that folding is lost on
        >> some tabs whenever I open additional files

> Done! the correction will come up with the next release.

FYI :

If you don't want to wait for the next version, you can DL the fixed binary here :
        http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/commun/misc/notepad++.2.6.bis.zip

Don

• thure
      thure
      2004-12-10

You could make an option to search from top of document.

• thure
        thure
        2004-12-10

forget it, i'm blind. It's a big button instead of a checkbox.

• thure
      thure
      2004-12-16

When clicking "Find all" all keyword coloring is lost making it nearly impossible to navigate around in ex. a java file. Could you make it keep the coloring while using "Find all"?

And how you make the "find all" coloring go away again? The most logical would be the ESCAPE shortcut.

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2004-12-16

It's definitely impossible to keep the same syntax highlighting because "Find All" lexer is used to colourise all found tokens instead of java lexer(which is your case). To keep the java syntax highlighting, check only mark line.

To make the default lexer works, for the moment you switch off then swich back. I'll add a button to do that, but it won't be the Esc key.

Don