Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Function List: Innate vs Plugin

Gn13l
2013-08-30
2013-10-04
  • Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-08-30

You are right.
    The built-in version is relatively new and still under development. So, it will include new features in next few N++ versions, where as plugin version in not under development any longer.

BR,
    Loreia

• Gn13l
    Gn13l
    2013-08-30

When upgrading to the latest np++ version I automatically disabled my Function List plugin because of "Stability Issues". Thus I decided to try the innate version.

I've been having trouble getting the built in version to work. I've added a php parser and initialization, but I can't get it run. It always shows up blank. Any ideas?

Gn13l

• Roy Riggs
    Roy Riggs
    2013-08-31

I had trouble writing my own at first too, it was always blank. I had copied the regexp for comment lines from one of the examples, but for some reason it just didn't like it and kept thinking the entire file was one huge comment, and thus, never showed any functions. I rewrote the regexp for comments and it was fine after that.

• Roy Riggs
    Roy Riggs
    2013-08-31

I just wrote another one for YAML. Some helpful tips debugging this stuff:

If the function list panel is completely empty, that means it didn't match the association tag. If you see the file name at the top, that means the associate worked, but there is a problem in your parser definition.

Note: when using a file extension to match your association tag I had to define it with the leading dot, although other examples I found weren't doing this.

<association ext=".EXT" id="my_new_lang_function"/>

• Gn13l
      Gn13l
      2013-09-04

This was very helpful, thank you! <quote>"If the function list panel is completely empty, that means it didn't match the association tag."</quote> in particular helped me figure out that I needed to add extensions even for the built in languages.

• Gn13l
    Gn13l
    2013-09-04

While I was able to get a test .cpp file to be recognized, I was not able to get it to parse. More importantly, I couldn't even get my .php files to be recognized and associated :(

Here is my association tag:
    \<association langID = "1" ext=".php" id="php_function"/>
    (minus the '\' of course)

Any advice?

Last edit: Gn13l 2013-09-04
  • Roy Riggs
    Roy Riggs
    2013-09-04

You wouldn't need both ext= AND langID in the same tag, just langID="1" for PHP should suffice.

Last edit: Roy Riggs 2013-09-04
  • Gn13l
    Gn13l
    2013-09-05

Whether it should or not, it did help my cpp get recognized when I added "ext='.cpp'".
    \<association langID = "3" ext=".cpp" id="c_cpp_function"/>

Removing ext=".php" did not help any. Oddly enough, javascript doesn't have any trouble.

Last edit: Gn13l 2013-09-05
    • Don HO
      Don HO
      2013-09-08

Are you sure you edit the right "functionList.xml"?
      You should edit "%APPDATA%\notepad++\functionList.xml" but not "NPP_INSTALLED_DIR\functionList.xml".
      The second one is use as model to copy in "%APPDATA%\notepad++\" directory, in case "%APPDATA%\notepad++\functionList.xml" is absent.

Don

• Gn13l
        Gn13l
        2013-09-09

Thank you for the reminder! That got it to work for me. :)

• Gn13l
    Gn13l
    2013-09-09

Last edit: Gn13l 2013-09-09
  • cchris
    cchris
    2013-09-15

Does this apply even when Don't use %APPDATA% was chosen at install time?
    May I suggest to keep the names consistent by renaming the local function list file to "functionList.model.xml", just like for langs and config?

CChris

• I resolved the issue of the function list not recognizing the newly supported file types (php in my case) by:

• Closing Notepad++
    • Deleting "%APPDATA%\notepad++\functionList.xml"
    • Restarting Notepad++

Apparently, the installer didn't update the files in "%APPDATA%\notepad++\ when I upgraded Notepad++.

Best regards,

Michael Milette