Don, suggestion for an improvement in Search/Replacement

2014-01-18
2014-01-19
  • THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2014-01-18

Hi Don and Developers,

As you know, when you performs a S/R in N++, any present normal selection is taken in account, ONLY IF you use the Replace All option

So, I was wondering : would it be possible, with the recent Begin/End selection mechanism, to allow, easily enough, a Search in Selection and/or a Replace in Selection features, like on the Find/REplace of the TextFX plugin ?

But, may be, there's no link between these two subjects ?

Cheers,

guy038

• Is there some underlying reason normal replace can't be done in a selection, or has it simply not been implemented? I personally never use it, but it seems to work in Visual Studio. If it could be implemented I imagine it's not so much work to add support for Begin/end selection.

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2014-01-19

Hi Andreas,

I do think that it would be an interesting feature :

Just imagine that you would like to see the different occurrences of a variable name, with their contexts, in a part of a big source file :

You would create, first, a selection of that part and, then, you would search, in selection, for the occurrences of that variable, wrapping from the end to the beginning of that selection, only !

Of course, an other obvious method is to copy that part in a temporary new tab and performs the search, with the Wrap around option !

Cheers,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-01-19