Don HO
2014-04-18
2014-04-24
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-04-18

v6.6 Release Candidate is available to download here:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/tmp/6.6.RC.zip

The main feature of this release is Session snapshot & periodic backup.
    If this feature is enabled, on startup Notepad++ does not only open the saved opened files, but also restore the unsaved file and unsaved untitled document of last session. And user won't be asked to save unsaved file as he quits Notepad++.
    This feature brings an advantage - periodic backup of unsaved files which protects your data from the PC crashing or power outage.

It'll be the default behaviour, but user can always turn it off to get back the old behaviour:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/tmp/sessionSnapshot.png

Note that the version number and change log in 6.6.RC.zip are not updated yet.

Please let me know if you find any critical bug, otherwise v6.6 will be releaseed in 4 days.

• David Bailey
      David Bailey
      2014-04-23

I don't think the situation when NPP is deliberately closed is analogous to situations where the machine closes down or the power cuts off.

Therefore I think the default option should leave the protection in place, but warn in the traditional way when the editor is closed.

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2014-04-24

The added code for the management of session snapshot & periodic backup feature is quite complex, so for the moment let's keep 2 behaviours separated.

Don

• StanE
    StanE
    2014-04-18

"And user won't be asked to save unsaved file as he quits Notepad++."

There is a small problem with this. When the option "MISC. > Remember current session for next launch" is not activated, Notepad++ does not ask to save unsaved files or new tabs with content to be saved. So while this option is disabled, all unsaved changes get lost very easily.

• TonyP
      TonyP
      2014-04-24

the proper saving procedure is to backup periodically but not to the actual file till you save the file. if it does crash/shutdown unexpectedly then the backup will reload over the current file and leave the tab in an unsaved state. upon close it should still ask the user to save unsaved changes.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2014-04-24

Last edit: Don HO 2014-04-24
  • Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2014-04-20

This version crashed on me almost every time I triggered a manual file save via Ctrl+S.