Version 6.1.5 is released

Don HO
2012-07-07
2012-11-13
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • bypasser
    bypasser
    2012-07-07

Fix un regression: folding/unfolding performance issue.

This regression is still not completely fixed. It does not take hours and days to fold-all on files with several millions of lines anymore, but it still takes 15-20 seconds versa less than a second on 5.9.8 to perform a single collapsing.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-07-09

Hi,

I did not receive e-mail notification about this release. Perhaps you forgot to sent it this time?

BR
    Loreia

• Help!

I am a developer I was working on Windows, but now it is I develop on Linux and I'm proud of it, I have a month and did not open the windows, and that's great.

But unfortunately I am a fan of the program Notpad + +, it is very wonderful and gives vital to work efficiently.
    And this is the problem.
    Please Save Notpad + + on GNU Linux systems, especially Ubuntu and Back and others.

I did not like Notpad + + and it works by the Wine.

Please make Notpad + + as a normal way can be installed from the Ubuntu and Debian and other systems fine.

In the centers of softwares.

• Oh, So sorry, I mean Notepad++
    I used Google Translate. ^_^

• Jerren
    Jerren
    2012-07-11

The latest version of np++ always crashes when I scroll to the bottom of the php file at the following address.  As long as I don't scroll to the last character, it seems fine.  As soon as I scroll to the end, and then try to scroll back up (using the mouse wheel), the program hangs and I have to force it shut.

https://sites.google.com/site/gcalweeknumbers/Home/generateweeks.php?attredirects=0

• OrangeXP
    OrangeXP
    2012-07-11

On at least 6.1.1 and 6.1.5, I can type 'i<abc' in a new file, and double clicking to select 'abc' will double select the word and the first letter (copy-paste will generate aabc, the editor shows two cursors around the 'a' in the original word). On a larger document, double clicking the 'abc' (which would be a variable being checked in a for loop) where the 'abc' variable occurs several times in the document will crash the program.

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-11

@saundersj :

I can not reproduce the hanging of Notepad++ 6.1.5 at all.
    I doubt it's due to the plugins. Could you confirm me if the problem is solved after removing all plugins ?
    If it does, could you identify the culprit one?

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-11

@ unnicked :

Just checked again the folding performance (Alt+0 / Alt+Shift+0) under 6.1.5 with doc map enabled. The result is instantaneous, and I can tell it's even faster than 5.9.8.

I believe it is plugins issue - could you remove all plugins then try it again?

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-11

@ orangexp :

I cannot reproduce the crash on my 6.1.5. Could you remove all plugins to make sure the crash come from Notepad++?
    If you can still reproduce the crash, please provide us the detailed procedure and description.

Don

• OrangeXP
    OrangeXP
    2012-07-11

It looks like the NotepadSharp 1.5 plugin was causing the issue.

• Aren Cambre
    Aren Cambre
    2012-07-11

Notepad++ still does UAC for ? > Update Notepad++. This is improper and a security risk. Notepad++ does not need privilege escalation to check for the presence of a newer version. It only needs privilege elevation if it finds an updated version and the user agrees to install it.

• Bob Uncle
    Bob Uncle
    2012-07-12

acambre: the update process is a different application. NP++ does not itself look for updates, that other application does. hence the proper UAC prompt. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me :)

- Bob

• bypasser
    bypasser
    2012-07-12

donho
    It's same without plugins: about 1,5 min (v6.1.5.) versa 10 min (v5.9.8.) for applying the language scheme, but 15-20 seconds (v6.1.5.) versa instant reaction (v5.9.8.) for folding. 5.9.8. behaviour is in this case more preferable, because applying the language scheme occurs only once in a session.
    I can provide you a sample text file (885 KB as an xz-archive or 3 MB as a rar-archive) with the corresponding language scheme in a personal message, if you'd like to reproduce the lag.

• bypasser
    bypasser
    2012-07-12

P.S. Enabling the document map increases the lag to almost a minute for Alt+0.

• Aren Cambre
    Aren Cambre
    2012-07-12

Bob: Thanks, but it doesn't matter what process it is. No program should request privilege elevation when it doesn't need it. Not only does it make NPP harder to use, it is a security vulnerability because it violates the principle of least privilege.

Again, no matter what this process is, it should not invoke UAC unless it finds an updated version and the user agrees to install it.

• palladium
    palladium
    2012-07-12

In "trunk/PowerEditor/src/ScitillaComponent/xmlMatchedTagsHighlighter.cpp" the expression

styleAt == SCE_H_DOUBLESTRING || styleAt == SCE_H_DOUBLESTRING

at lines 147 and 159 doesn't make sense and should probably be

styleAt == SCE_H_DOUBLESTRING || styleAt == SCE_H_SINGLESTRING

or something like that.

• unnicked's problem with folding performance is only noticeable on sufficiently large documents. Folding is still instantaneous on small documents. I've tried folding a 3 mb XML file and didn't have the patience to see how long it'd take.

This patch fixes the problem (but might introduce a regression fixed in rev. 866):
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3542186&group_id=95717&atid=612384

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-12

@orangexp & @saundersj :

Thank you for your confirmation about the 2 critical issues due to ScrollPastEOFUni plugin and NotepadSharp plugin.
    I believe it's safe to say Notepad++ v6.1.5 is stable.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-12

@Loreia:

Thank you for notifying me. I triggered newsletter sending manually Monday night.
    The newsletter module on Notepad++ site has a lot of bugs and I'm working on it.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-12

@unnicked  :
    Could you send the file to
    don.h
    @
    free.fr
    ?

Thank you,
    Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-07-12

@acambre :
    I confirm what he said Bob.
    The component used for the updating is Generic Updater for Win32, which is a stand-alone application.
    http://gup-win32.tuxfamily.org/
    That's how it works:
    http://gup-win32.tuxfamily.org/how

I agree with your viewpoint. However this is a technical limit: To launch an external application to get info from internet, Notepad++ has to gain the privilege right for GUP. If you have any good solution for that, please let me know.

Don

• bypasser
    bypasser
    2012-07-12

jonandr

unnicked's problem with folding performance is only noticeable on sufficiently large documents

Indeed. As I said at the beginning "on files with several millions of lines". Those are normally larger than 100 MB. 5.9.8. is able to fold on such files fast enough.
    Thank you for sharing the fix, but I don't seem to have access to the revision 927. The revision I can checkout is 735, which does not contain the lines from the patch diff.
    donho
    Done. Please let me know, whether you can reproduce the lag.
    Thank you.

• bypasser
    bypasser
    2012-07-12

jonandr

unnicked's problem with folding performance is only noticeable on sufficiently large documents

Indeed. As I said at the beginning "on files with several millions of lines". Those are normally larger than 100 MB. 5.9.8. is able to fold on such files fast enough.
    Thank you for sharing the fix, but I don't seem to have access to the revision 927. The revision I can checkout is 735, which does not contain the lines from the patch diff.
    donho
    Done. Please let me know, whether you can reproduce the lag.
    Thank you.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)