Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Feature Request - Back-Ups, Custom File Format

Daniel K
2014-06-28
2014-09-19
  • Daniel K
    Daniel K
    2014-06-28

I would like to see the ability to customize the back-up file names. I often have to go into try and find a backup file after having screwed something up, and it with all the files having the same file extension, it makes it more difficult.

Lets say the file name is file.tpl.

I'd like to be able to name the backup, backup_2014_06_28_133322_file.tpl rather than, file.tpl.2014-06-23_125314.bak

• Zen
    Zen
    2014-06-30

forgive me for being forward, but your naming convention results in all the files having the same file extension anyway.
    If you sort your files alphabetically, (or by create date, same thing in this case) then the latest file will always be at the top/bottom of the list.

It would be cool if you could choose the bak file name formatting, but realistically just having the creation date as the name works great.

• Daniel K
    Daniel K
    2014-09-19

Sorry.. I didn't see that there had been a response to my question. I respectfully disagree with you. And my format convention was just an example.

backup_2014_06_28_133322-stylesheet.css
    backup_2014_06_28_133322-product.tpl
    backup_2014_06_28_133322-index.php
    backup_2014_06_28_133322-template.css

Makes it much easier to find the backup that I am looking for, then if they all have .bak extensions. I often work with several files, save them all and upload them to the server. They all will have a very similar if not identical datetime stamp.

If I am working with CSS files, PHP files, TPL files, it would be nice to be able to view those by a group. It would also help if I need to view the file, for notepad++ to automatically determine the language type. I am surprised that I am the only one that would like to see this personally. I was hoping that a plugin might allow me that functionality, but I haven't seen one, and don't see any config settings that would achieve this.

Another reason for this, is that many backup programs, like carbonite, won't backup .bak files. No, I am not backing up months worth of backup files, but I do keep some. Yeah, isn't a big deal, it would just be nice to have the ability to do it.