Motaz
2010-09-27
2013-03-10
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 3 of 5)
  • Collin Loho
    Collin Loho
    2010-10-11

motazz
    You're doing all right, with a chameleon icon will be 100 times recognizable

and old icon looked unfinished

• HappyDog
    HappyDog
    2010-10-11

Motaz:

You've missed the point of my post.  It wasn't about 'being famous'.  The 'you' I referred to (in "You are planning this change to boost your 'brand recognition',") was 'the developers of Notepad++, not you as an artist.  In other words, the point of changing the icon seems to be to get the chameleon 'brand' into it.

I have no problem with a new icon, so long as the old icon is still there for us existing users of Notepad++ who don't want their mental model broken by being unable to locate text files or the main program icon any more (and trust me, for power users - which I suspect make up a large amount of the NP++ user-base, that is a big issue…).

• oh-nice
    oh-nice
    2010-10-12

Sheet and chameleon are bigger in 32x32.

Preview:

Icons Download:
    Notepad++Icons 32/16

• oh-nice
    oh-nice
    2010-10-12

Better comparism:

• Motaz
    Motaz
    2010-10-12

Thanks oh-nice
    I made Sheet and chameleon bigger. >> Motaz

Preview:

• /Robin
    /Robin
    2010-10-12

Looks great, motazz!

• David Rosen
    David Rosen
    2010-10-12

I really like these icons, but I don't understand why it has two pencils. The lizard is already holding a pencil.

• oh-nice
    oh-nice
    2010-10-12

Do we really realise the pencil under the Chameleon with 48x48 - 32x32 Icons??
    And with 16x16 there is no Chameleon!  I think its ok!

Just another try and comparison:

Download:
    Notepad++Icons02.zip

• Motazz. you keep on surpassing yourself! :-D

• David Rosen
    David Rosen
    2010-10-12

I switched the pinned 32x32 taskbar icon (Win7) to the lizard (the icon #2 that is currently embedded in the exe). I can see the pencil, and I think it looks pretty nice as just a lizard holding a pencil. There is plenty of detail in that icon, it's cute and recognizable. (The icon in the exe hasn't been optimized yet for use as a 32x32 icon though.)

Adding the paper looks nice, but it adds complexity and makes the lizard harder to see. It works well as a document icon, but not necessarily as a program icon. For example, compare the MS Word program icon with its document icon.

• Lucanos
    Lucanos
    2010-10-15

That last set absolutely ROCK! I hope this is included in the next release of Notepad++

• Lucanos
    Lucanos
    2010-10-15

(Silly me for posting a reply on the 1st Page, instead of seeing where the thread had progressed…)

I agree that the older icons should be available (but not set as default), to assist those of us who have become conditioned to associate the current icon with NotepadPlusPlus.

Motazz's suite at 2010-10-13 01:53:05 EST is great, although I did like the concept of just having "++" in the smaller icons, as the chameleon does lose alot of definition in the smaller resolution (32x32). I did also like the idea of no "++" or chameleon for the 16x16 icon, as I think the green gradient is recognisable enough.

So, my (very humble) suggestion would be to use the suite from 2010-10-13 01:53:05 EST, but have the 32x32 versions contain "++" rather than the chameleon.

I really would love for this to be in the next release - It's fresh and cool, and I like the richer feel of it compared to the current set which just feels like a glamorised version of the default Windows Notepad app.

• oh-nice
    oh-nice
    2010-10-20

Are examples still required for the decision?

(joleg74)
    Could you have the pencil slented on the right (such as this / ) with the tip "writing" the last '+' ?

(stefanpe)
    I second Jocelyn about letting the pencil actually write the text.

(golem7777777)
    Separated pencil creates the illusion of the second icon.
    So, or pencil write or quite unnecessary. But i love this yellow line on the usual white icon. )))

More precipitous representation of the pencil looks not good and also sees one not so well!
    So the pencil is shown in the 32x32 and 16x16 Icons more at an angle!
    My opinion.

Preview:

Download:
    Notepad++_icon_preview05.zip

Oh-nice

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-10-20

@ oh-nice :
    It's quite close :)
    in 32x32 icon, could we try to put a chameleon (or "N++")? It's pity to not fill the empty place.

Don

• @donho:  I totally agree with you.

• Joe Pea
    Joe Pea
    2010-10-21

I like this one the best:

Man, a port of this to Linux would be so awesome.

• oh-nice
    oh-nice
    2010-10-21

(donho)
    in 32x32 icon, could we try to put a chameleon (or "N++")?

Motazz, please feel you also appealed, because you are the better graphic artist and
    I could have made this not without your graphics!
    And mine are a little more unclear!

The thanks are due to him!

The pencil is bent 26 degrees to the right in my grafics.

But I will try it too, so any way…

• David Rosen
    David Rosen
    2010-10-21

I think the extra pencil looks silly, regardless of the angle.

• Alex Breems
    Alex Breems
    2010-10-22

reduce the pencil (maybe make a thinner) of the 256, 128, 64, 48 and this icon will be the best

32 and 16 look great right now

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-10-22

@ alexbreems :
    Yes, the 32x32 is terrific. However, I prefer the pencil putting on the paper with angles.

@ oh-nice :
    Sure that I'm aware of the effort of Motazz.

@ Motazz :
    Thank you to start to this design series. We *may* have a new icon thanks to you.

I thank everyone in the thread to provide your idea.
    Basically, this icon is good enough:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/forums/forum/331753/topic/3868076?message=8710422
    All we have to do is fill the blank with the chamelon (alexbreems's one is quite good).
    So the good icon quality of Motazz + the pencil style of oh-nice + 32x32 chameleon of alexbreems will be a perfect combination.

We are so close until now. Could we go far further to make it as Notepad++ default icon from v5.8.3?

Don

• Motaz
    Motaz
    2010-10-22

OK  - this is really good, thanks for everyone >> Motaz
    I did the last change on the icon…

Preview:

Download:
    Notepad++_icon_x1_By_Motaz.zip

• Sune Marcher
    Sune Marcher
    2010-10-22

motazz, IMHO we have a winner!

Perhaps, as a slight little nag, there could be a miiinor retouch on the 32x32 version as the right edge is a bit fuzzy - but that's the perfectionist nag, it already looks very good :)

• Lucanos
    Lucanos
    2010-10-22

I have to say, in my humble opinion, I prefer the 32x32 versions as per the version at 2010-10-01 07:34:44 UTC
    (Without the chameleon - instead with "++".) At this size, the chameleon becomes almost less of a recognisable icon and more of an inside joke (a la a user unfamiliar with Np++ would probably not know what it was without being told), whereas the "++" is easily seen and has obvious relevance to the name of the application.

• 7GOLEM7
    7GOLEM7
    2010-10-23

motazz  Last I liked. 32x32 can do similar?

• Alex Breems
    Alex Breems
    2010-10-23

I like the last

and IMO сhameleon on 32 pretty good

Motaz thank you for your patience ;)

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 3 of 5)