Don't display search&replace result...

adem0x
2010-04-29
2013-04-18
  • adem0x
    adem0x
    2010-04-29

Instead of confirming Search/Replace results with a dialog, could you show it in statusbar?

That way, I wouldn't have to click redundatly an OK button which steals the focus from S&R dialog.

Thank you.

• Vikash Gupta
    Vikash Gupta
    2010-04-29

I favor removal of OK cause it will save time of pressing extra enter.
    Secondly if i forget to click ok
    and set focus on SR dialog and make new replace then that does not happen ie 0 replaced (actually it should not be allowed and focus should be sent to OK dialog).
    Better is statusbar as i have seen some softs opt for statusbar for this operation.

• adem0x
    adem0x
    2010-04-29

Could I also suggest that the messsage that shows the number of successful replaces be shown in the statusbar of the SR dialog, and not in the NotePad++'s (NP's) statusbar.

IOW, I'd like a statusbar added to the SR dialog.

That way, SR messages don't replace the messages in the NP's statusbar.

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-04-30

Please post a request on IdeaTorrent about this.

CChris

• adem0x
    adem0x
    2010-04-30

I'll gladly add this request to IdeaTorrent but where is the IdeaTorrent about NP++?

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-05-01

Right on this page. Scroll up to the SF menu, then hover on Hosted Apps, choose IdeaTorrent.

CChris

• Vikash Gupta
    Vikash Gupta
    2010-05-02

have you voted negative there was minus one value,

• adem0x
    adem0x
    2010-05-02

That negative vote came from 'im2crazy4u'.

I wrote my explanatory response there -see comment #7 for the URL.

• nofun
    nofun
    2011-03-10

Today I recorded a macro with (mercyfully) two  "Search & Replace" operations and saw that result popup window shows after each operation and demands my interaction. That is really a showstopper here. Could it be omitted at least in macro replay mode?

• Andrew Mosey
    Andrew Mosey
    2011-03-12

I have 29 search / replaces in my macro, would be very nice to supress this confirmation dialogue!

The notification in the status bar would be ideal, perhaps a setting could switch the behaviour from confirmation dialogue to status bar.

• Andrew Mosey
    Andrew Mosey
    2011-03-13

It's over 50 search / replaces now. However if you hold the ENTER key down it's much easier than clicking every notification

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-03-14

All I can offer for the mment is to ship a custom version of my Adjustable Feedback Mode enhancement. Just email me. I hope Don will consider accepting the patch.

CChris

• Martin D
    Martin D
    2012-05-20

Is there a possibility of creating a plugin for notepad++ that enables this functionality?
    This is definitely a problem with the usability of macros.

• cchris
    cchris
    2012-05-27

I don't think so, because the reporting of replacements is tightly built into N++ and without an interface to the outer world.
    However, you may be able to train an AutoHotkey script to click the button for you when it polls and sees a dialog box with the right characteristics.

CChris

• Anson Ng
    Anson Ng
    2013-04-16

But if running a macro with more than a few consecutive "Replace All"/"Replace All in All Opened Documents", the status bar could not show all replace count instances. I would rather have it displayed in the "Search Results Window", just like "Final All in Current Document"/"Find All in All Opened Documents". So the counts can be traced.

• karter257
    karter257
    2013-04-18

Instead of confirming Search/Replace results with a dialog, could you show it in statusbar?

Please it is very tedious as it is at the moment