Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Sexism and promotion of violence against women

Alex
2014-06-06
2014-06-23
  • Alex
    Alex
    2014-06-06

I just want to say that I won't be endorsing this product anymore due to the highly offensive jokes included in the source code.

This is not funny :
    -If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn't, you hunt that bitch down and kill her.
    -I'm not saying I hate her. I just hope she gets fingered by wolverine
    -If you ever wanna know what a woman's mind feels like? Imagine a browser with 2857 tabs open, all the time.
    -The reason women will never be the ones to propose is because as soon as she gets on her knees, he will start unzipping.
    -I'm no gynecologist, but I know a cunt when I see one.

Read more here : http://www.reddit.com/r/girlsgonewired/comments/27ehbx/sexism_in_tech_an_example/

• Atton Risk
      Atton Risk
      2014-06-19

"Sexism and promotion of violence against women"
      The fact that you can turn a joke into a statement proves that you are dishonest.
      The jokes where ridiculous and where not meant as a statement you are clearly just using strong language for spin.
      If you think sexist jokes are bad then where is your voice on the #killAllMen
      The difference is in that tag people are actually serious.
      Get out

• DV
    DV
    2014-06-06

True! REAL women like these should protest: femen.org , en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEMEN

• Without Alex' endorsement, the entire project will collapse!

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2014-06-06

Hi Alex,

aren't you being a bit melodramatic here? I know we live in this hypersensitive, politically correct world, but the girl that posted the original complaint ("doctorgirl29") is hardly being fair. She (I presume she is a girl) stumbled upon few hundred rude jokes, hand picked just several of them, and came to this conclusion:

Do you want to know why there are virtually no women in tech? Take a look at the culture that has developed around it and you'll quickly discover why. This is a good example.

This beyond hypersensitive reasoning, this is simply an irrational reasoning. Claiming that there are no women in tech because of some rude jokes hidden in Notepad++, and thus far discovered by two (2!) people. In fact let us take a look at reaction of those two people, Forum_User thought of it as Shameful text in notepad++.exe because he felt offended by rude sex jokes, but then came here and asked developers about it. He addressed problem at the source.

On the other hand doctorgirl29 did not care about talking to anyone involved in this project, instead she went to reddit.com and started a thread "Sexism in tech: An example". In my opinion she doesn't care about solving anything, she just cares about pushing some sort of agenda (what ever that agenda might be). Also, the fact that she hand picked just few jokes about women, and intentionally ignored jokes about pretty much everyone and everything else, including men (which are just as offensive), speaks volumes about that person.

Anyway, Don Ho's sense of humor if far from politically correct, but I don't use this editor because Don is such a funny guy. I use it for its features. Most of which I like, and the stuff I don't like I try to fix though occasional patches and contribution.

If you or "doctorgirl29" feel like you could help making this editor better, sending patches and diff files is the way to go.
    Screaming campaign on reddit.com? Neither helpful nor well-meaning !!

Regards,
    Loreia

• DV
    DV
    2014-06-06

Also such posts are no more than just an obvious demonstrations of double morals and double standards. Why? Well, did the first post or the original thread criticize - or at least mention - the following jokes? --

• It's always sad when a man and his dick share only one brain... and it turns out to be the dick's.
    • Men also have feelings. For example, they can feel hungry.
    • Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.
    • God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time

No? Shouldn't we think that they are completely acceptable from the claimants' point of view then?

• Deadooshka
    Deadooshka
    2014-06-08

nobody needs these stupid jokes in the text tool.

• WandersFar
    WandersFar
    2014-06-08

Why is random crap even in there at all?

If the whole point of N++ is to be as lean and clean as possible “to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions” [as stated on the website] how does including a bunch of useless text strings further that goal?

The “jokes” are tasteless and stupid but I’m more dismayed that the program I’ve been running for years isn’t as clean as I thought it was. What other crap that hasn’t been noticed yet is also in there?

• this is bigger than the stupid bro jokes, i know you donate your time to the project but come on. do you realize the institutions that use this software? of course you do.

• hak8or
    hak8or
    2014-06-12

Thankfully this garbage was removed, as can be seen here:

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/response-and-apology-4-sexist-jokes.html

To give you an idea of what was said:
    The reason women will never be the ones to propose is\nbecause as soon as she gets on her knees,\nhe will start unzipping."

Life is like a penis, simple, soft, straight, relaxed and hanging freely.\nThen women make it hard.

Last edit: hak8or 2014-06-12
  • Eros
    Eros
    2014-06-16

Sexism? Hey, Hollywood is releasing movies with top models in them, they even use little child models, occasionally promoting illegal things, and is earning almost billions by doing so while Notepad++ is freeware and doesn't make the law and doesn't shoot you in the head when you "pirate" it. What the hell is wrong with you people? I don't see ANYBODY boycotting Hollywood's creations. Why is that? Is it really so fun to pick on the weaklings? Is that really all you can do?

• WandersFar
    WandersFar
    2014-06-19

Uh… what? What does Hollywood have to do with anything?

The issue here is the lack of professionalism the inclusion of these ugly “jokes” implies.

Notepad++ is the culmination of hours upon hours of work from many individuals. It’s a wonderful piece of software and something the whole community should be proud of.

Why on Earth would you want to associate it with trash like the quotes above?

• Zardiw
    Zardiw
    2014-06-23

OMG......I guess you CAN'T TAKE A JOKE........unbelievable.....and you made the poor author actually CHANGE his program.........go back to the Victorian Era you came from......

z