Notepad++ v6.6.3 has been released.
    Please check the following link for the new release info & download:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/notepad-6.6.3-release.html

Don

Last edit: Don HO 2014-05-22
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-05-22

Since there's no feedback for this release, I consider that this version is stable enough.
    The auto-updater for v6.6.3 has been triggered.

Don

• DV
    DV
    2014-05-26

Here are some (dangerous) points regarding the new snapshot session feature:
    1) Consider having an unsaved file "new 1" that already has its physical backup copy e.g. "backup\new 1@2014-05-26_115433". If this physical backup file is now deleted (we could do it via Explorer, for example, or it can be done by some third-party software), Notepad++ does not detect this deletion and does not prompt to save this "new 1" when Notepad++ exits. So all the text from this "new 1" is lost.
    2) Consider having an unsaved file "new 1" that already has its physical backup copy e.g. "backup\new 1@2014-05-26_115433". Not let's set a "read only" attribute to this physical backup file (for example, via Explorer). Now the snapshot session feature becomes useless for this file: whatever you type, the already saved "backup\new 1@2014-05-26_115433" never changes - and Notepad++ does not even warn about that!
    3) Consider that Notepad++ has been installed to Program Files and the portable mode (empty "doLocalConf.xml") is, however, unabled. And the user is a limited user with UAC enabled. As a result, the user does not have a write access to "Program Files\Notepad++\backup", so the snapshot session feature is unable to do anything - and Notepad++ remains silent when it exits and all the texts from "new 1", "new 2" etc. is not saved!

Here is the proposal/solution regarding the mentioned issues. When Notepad++ exits, it should do the following for ALL unsaved files:
    1) verify that the corresponding file "backup\<file_name@file_time>" exists - even in case when Notepad++ thinks that this file has already been backuped;
    2) when Notepad++ is unable to create a backup copy for ANY reason, a regular "Save As" dialog should be shown.

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2014-06-01

Hello Don and DV,

DV, I personally verify the two first points of your post and you're perfectly right : the backup is lost :-(

I can't verify your third point because my home computer is ( still ! ) a Win XP machine.

In other words, I would say :

On Notepad++'s exit :

• If no unsaved file exists, then delete any extra backup file, which would remain,
      for any reason, in the backup directory !

• ELSE, for each unsaved file :

• Systematically, save it, a last time, in its associate backup file :

• If, for any reason, there's no associate backup file, re-create it

• If, for any reason, the creation/update of the associate backup file is impossible, open the usual "Save" dialog

Don, I hope that it won't be too difficult to fix these issues ! Good coding :)

Best Regards,

guy038

P.S. :

Don, could you consider these 3 orthographic changes, in the end of my post, at the address :

https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/331753/thread/7e6624c4/#0a8d

Thanks, by advance :-)

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-06-03
  • vosManz
    vosManz
    2014-06-04

Hi,

I think I also found a bug with saving a file, but I think it's a little different than DV (but i'm not 100% sure)

Steps to reproduce:
    - Open notepad++ without any opened files, or when you have a file opened create a new one.
    - Type something, like 'test'
    - Save the file (CTRL+S, I saved it to my desktop as 'test.txt')
    - After the file is saved, type something else in the same file (just add another 'test')
    - Note that the icon in the tab-bar is NOT changed to a red (modified) icon.
    - Therefore, I can not save the file. (I actually did not see my this until now. The previous time I checked this I just hit CTRL+S in the hope the file is saved. But it wasn't, and I lost my data)

I think this only occurs when a new file is created. When I close notepad++, open the same file again and then add some text, the icon changes to a red floppy-disk and I am able to save the file without problems.

I use Notepad++ v6.6.3 (unicode) in Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (dutch). Session snapshot is enabled.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2014-06-07

vosManz,

I can not reproduce this bug with your instruction (tested both v6.6.3 & v6.6.4).
      The bug you reported is a known bug in v6.6.2 (or before). Could you check the version again?

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-06-05

Thank you DV,Guy and vosManz.

I'll check these issues and bring the solution asap in the future release.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-06-07

DV,

If Notepad++ is installed in "program files", doLocalConf.xml will be ignored (for Vista and upper versions), Notepad++ reads/writes the setttings from/to the directory "%appdata%\Notepad++\".
    So I don't know how you reproduce the issue #3. I tested anyway under my Windows 7 64 bits and I cannot reproduce it.
    Could you provide me your PC's info?

• DV
    DV
    2014-06-07

@Don HO,
    actually I've emulated this behaviour by denying write access (via the folder properties) to the folder Notepad++\backup. I know it's not fair :) But such synthetic test is a good illustration of the statement that inability to create a backup copy is not handled properly.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2014-06-07

Hi Vitaliy,

I don't really understand regarding what you have emulate.
      For me the 3rd issue cannot happen.
      Could you give me the instructions (step by step) to reproduce the result you provide?

Don

• DV
    DV
    2014-06-08

Right-click the folder "backup" (i.e. "Notepad++\backup"), select Properties. In the Properties window, select Security (where the users and their access are listed). Now deny write acess to a regular user. (Then, to ensure it was denied, try to change or create something under the folder "backup" - the system should notify you that you are no able to do that.)
    Now open Notepad++, type something and close Notepad++ with a new unsaved file. Though Notepad++ will not be able to save anything in the folder "backup", no notification is shown.