Features request...

2005-05-04
2012-11-13
  • npp is great. It help me to find out bugs for a >2K lines of a single fortran subroutine with messy loops and branches.

I wounder if npp will have the features of 'code explorer' in future.

Ideally, the names of procedures, or functions will be sorted (or not) and show with the calling parameters in another window, or pane. Clicking the name on the panel will have the original code scroll to the position of the corresponding  function. It will be nice if it can support different languages, including Java, Fortran, C, prolog, lisp... It will be even better if user can define his/her own language. (it seems that since Scintilla already supports user defined languages, I think that may not be difficult to have this features)

Oh, a friend of mine just told me that this feature is included in another PSPad. Maybe you can go there and get the idea of it.

• npp is very good. Please add hexadecimal language, and decode the hex in ASCII/UNICODE on the right.
      Preferences: 8,4,2,1, bytes, halfwords, words, long words .

• Gryphonvere
      Gryphonvere
      2005-05-08

Hmm.... while we're on the subject of requests, I'd like the ability that if a file passed on the cmd args isn't found, then Npp will prompt to ask if I'd like to create one, just like Notepad. =P

That would just make npp even better for me...

Also, is the cmd window not suppressed or something because I can see it flicker into existance then disappear when Npp is started...

Anyways... thanks a lot - excellent program.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2005-05-09

I'll try to answer each request :

> I wounder if npp will have the features of 'code explorer' in future.

The browser feature is an extension feature (for me), so it'll be developed by one who are interested in it as the plugin system is ready.
      As well for the list of procedures/functions and the hex-editor.

>  if a file passed on the cmd args isn't found, then Npp will prompt to ask

I'll consider it.

>  I can see it flicker into existance then disappear when Npp is started...

This problem is fixed in next version (v3.0), just be patient :)

Don