Bug in 3.8 and feature requests

Frigo
2006-07-24
2012-11-13
  • Frigo
    Frigo
    2006-07-24

There's a bug in 3.8 but not in 3.7 that resizes the window from maximized to "previous" if there's already a file open in it and I open a new one (Total Commander, F4; nvidia forceware 66.93, "window manager" or what is off).

> - possibility to edit the external command at shortcut mapper (we can create and delete but we can't modify)
    Not yet resolved to my knowledge

> - a new variable like FILE_NAME_WITHOUT_EXTENSION or something like that, e.g. to compile xyz.cpp to xyz.exe
    Resolved, thx :)

> - option to show the output of GCC/G++ (MinGW/Dev-C++) if some error occured (like Dev-C++ does), and to go to the first error (even if it is in another file)
    Not yet resolved to my knowledge.

> - programming langauge-dependent shortcuts, especially Ctrl-F9
    Not important, but it would be nice.

And:

- It would be ESPECIALLY nice to have an option to store extra compiler options in the source file, e.g. in a comment like:

// EXTRA_PARAM = "-lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -lSDL_image -mwindows"
    int main(){
    };

or store entire compiler commands like:
    // COMPILE_CMD = "c:\dev-cpp\bin\g++.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH) -o $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)$(NAME_PART).exe ...etc..."

even multiple lines, if needed (e.g. a strip command afterwards)

• Michael
      Michael
      2006-07-24

> - a new variable like FILE_NAME_WITHOUT_EXTENSION or something like that, e.g. to compile xyz.cpp to xyz.exe 

this variable exists, see:

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/run-HOWTO.php?lang=de

• Michael
      Michael
      2006-07-24

> - option to show the output of GCC/G++ (MinGW/Dev-C++) if some error occured (like Dev-C++ does), and to go to the first error (even if it is in another file)
      Not yet resolved to my knowledge.

I suggested to options -line and -col, see
      https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1533116&forum_id=331753

• Michael
      Michael
      2006-07-24

> - programming langauge-dependent shortcuts, especially Ctrl-F9
      Not important, but it would be nice.

what should Ctrl-F9 do?

• Frigo
        Frigo
        2006-07-25

Different commands to the same shortcut when using different programming language

• Michael
      Michael
      2006-07-24

> - possibility to edit the external command at shortcut mapper (we can create and delete but we can't modify) 
      Not yet resolved to my knowledge

> - It would be ESPECIALLY nice to have an option to store extra compiler options in the source file, e.g. in a comment like:
      > // EXTRA_PARAM = "-lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -lSDL_image -mwindows" ....
      >or store entire compiler commands like:
      >// COMPILE_CMD = "c:\dev-cpp\bin\g++.exe $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH) -o $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)$(NAME_PART).exe ...etc..."

Can you do much of this by "Run external tools"
      running a batch file customized like you need?

• Michael
      Michael
      2006-07-24

Can you use 2 variables?:
      $(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)$(NAME_PART)

see: 

• Michael
      Michael
      2006-07-27

I can't imagine how it works.
      Can describe exactly it's behavior?

• I'll try : Some editors I've seen allow a Tool define by Source_Language - This has plusses and minuses :

Plus is when you create a Tool, you can have the SAME key, as other languages - so F9 or Alt-F9 or
        whatever your favourite BUILD key is, is the same for all, but smart-calls the compilers by extension.

Minus is finding the tool setup if you do not have a related file loaded is tricky.
        Another minus, is you MUST be in the Source module, when you hit the Build key.

Here, I've setup NP++ to ignore the extension, and apply that in the batch file - that means build key works on reports/listings, and the new auto-reload means this is very smooth.

Some projects have multi-language source files, and modern PC speeds mean I simply always do a build-all.

Meanwhile, I suppose you could pass the file extension (EXT_PART) into a smarter batch file that tested this, and did differing builds,
        or you can start NP++ with differing shortcuts.xml  ?

jmg_