Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Moving woes

2014-03-10
2014-03-13
  • Dave Burrows
    Dave Burrows
    2014-03-10

Needed a new computer, decided to use Win. 8.1. It's taking some getting used to, but I like it well enough so far. I'm having difficulty bringing Application Data from XP into Win8.1. Notepad++, for example, was very customized over a period of years, and I'm not keen to start over.

From time to time while using XP, I'd install the OS on a freshly formatted drive. I could save my Application Data files before the format, and replace them before installing the software again. When I opened the software, everything was the way I left it before the format. I know where the old Notepad++ App Data are stored, but don't know where to put it in Win8.1

If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Peace,

Dave

Last edit: Dave Burrows 2014-03-10
  • Dave Burrows
    Dave Burrows
    2014-03-13

The courtesy of a response would be just great.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2014-03-13

Hi Dave,

not many people are using Windows 8.1.
    Isn't AppData folder present in Windows 8.1?

Config files should be in %appdata%\Notepad++

Which on Windows 7 resolves to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++

BR
    Loreia

Last edit: Loreia2 2014-03-13
  • Dave Burrows
    Dave Burrows
    2014-03-13

Hi, Loreia;

I read that fewer than 5% of Windows users are using 8.1, and that XP use is actually still increasing. The most alien part of it from my perspective is the new start stuff. To me, that just looks like a platform for direct marketing. At least for now, it's easy enough to get rid of, though, by selecting the option - I forget where at the moment - to boot to desktop.

Thanks for the path help. That is the same directory I find in 8.1. When I copy the XP Notepad++ directory, and overwrite the directory with the same name in the 8.1 Roaming directory, it seems to be doing what I'd expect. But when I open the software, it's still the new software look. I guess it's time to knuckle under, and re configure everything manually.

Peace,

Dave