Auto-completion attribs

2005-09-06
2012-11-13
  • Will be notepad++ support auto-completion for attribs in selected tag (eg. <a ... >)?

• I join this call/request.
      I find notepad++ a GREAT tool and I believe this is a fundemental characteristic that should be added.

For those of you who know the source code (and know how to read it...) - what should be added in order to have a contextual list of attributes, or necessary variables in a function, once a function/tag have been opened?

• Paulius
        Paulius
        2005-09-08

Ofcourse, my opinion doesn't count (Don should answer this), but i realy don't think this will ever be implemented in Notepad++. At least, not until this feature is added into Scintilla component.

• Function parameters and HTML attributes auto-completion would be a relly nice improvement.

Maybe it could be developed apart from the Scintilla component or as a contribution to the component.

Keep going, nice work.

Rico

• Paulius
            Paulius
            2005-09-12

To implement this feature - notepad++ would have to actualy KNOW what tag you are currently writing. So, notepad++ would have to PARSE the file and keep track of the current state (in which tag cursor is placed). This would slow down npp. Especialy when you would jump around the file from line to line, from tag to tag.
            And besides - I think, this feature should not be implemented in a text editor. IMHO, this feature belongs in a fully featured IDEs, not text editors. Notepad++ IS text editor...

• Don HO
              Don HO
              2005-09-14

> Notepad++ IS text editor...

Hmm... for me, a TEXT editor is something has the basic feature, such Notepad which comes with Windows.
              Whereas Notepad++ is rather a "code" editor which may be a semi-IDE with a light weight (It's its direction in any way).

> IMHO, this feature belongs in a fully featured IDEs

I don't think neither it's a good idea to implement it in Notepad++, not because this feature belongs in a fully featured IDEs, but because this feature concerns only HTML, and Notepad++ is (it trys to be anyway) a GENERIC code editor.

OTOH, it's totally possible (but complicated?) to do in plugin (the NOTIFICATION message is foreseen for that).
              Please make your request in the Plugin forum - there may be someones are interested in doing this feature.

Don

• Paulius
                Paulius
                2005-09-14

> Notepad++ is rather a "code" editor
                Sorry. Didn't meant to insult you or anything. ;)
                The keyword in my statement was "editor", not "text". :)

> I don't think neither it's a good idea to implement it in Notepad++...
                We agree on this one...

• Don HO
                  Don HO
                  2005-09-14

It's a forum to share our thought, so there's really no problem for that :)

Don