Notepad++ 6.1 released

Don HO
2012-04-09
2012-11-13
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • When I downloaded it from the Notepad++ site I get a WS.Reputation.1 virus alert with Norton on download  npp.6.1.installer.exe

• Full Path: c:\users\rich\downloads\notepad++\npp.6.1.installer.exe
    Threat: WS.Reputation.1
    Last Used 4/9/2012 at 9:15:00 PM
    Startup Item No
    Launched No
    Medium
    This file risk is medium.
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/notepadplus/6.1/npp.6.1.Installer.exe Downloaded File npp.6.1.installer.exe
    Threat name:
    WS.Reputation.1 from
    tuxfamily.org
    File Thumbprint - MD5:
    ecbf5ada782b293edeb8bf8589548907

• Anonymous
    2012-04-10

Kaspersky also showed virus in it
    PDM.Rootshell

• No problem with antivirus here (ESET NOD32), but a small annoyance:
    I love the new document map feature and would like to keep it open by default.
    However, if I do that, when loading a document (if NP++ is not already open), the document map panel gets the focus instead of the main area (code editor). So I have to manually click in the code editor to start working.
    Like I said, small annoyance, but it would be nice to have that fixed.

• asalanaja
    asalanaja
    2012-04-10

in NPP 6.0, i have got too many new lines on pressing a 'enter' key on single stroke.

is this still found in NPP 6.1 ???

• Lee Wilmott
    Lee Wilmott
    2012-04-10

I am experiencing the same as "s427".  When I open Notepad++ the "Document Map" receives the focus - rather than the main window.

If I then type "12345" it appears in the main document as  "54321".  This was reported by "antipattern37" in the following thread (https://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/forums/forum/331753/topic/5143719).

Furthermore, if I perform the following instructions…

1) Open Notepad++ (Document Map has the focus)
    2) Press Control-End (to move the cursor at the very bottom of the document)
    3) Type "12345"…

…"1" appears at the very bottom of the document and "5432" appears at the very top of the document.

Lee

• lydel
    lydel
    2012-04-10

Norton quaratines file.  WS.Reputation.1

• Lars Fischer
    Lars Fischer
    2012-04-10

I am experiencing a strange behaviour with autocompletion and NPP 6.0 and 6.1:

Consider for example a file with these five lines:
    line1

line5

When I type "tes" in line 3 the suggestion is "tesline5".

When I type "lin" it is even worse: the suggestion is "line1linline5" and not two suggestions, either "line1" or "line5".

The suggestions become useful when each nonempty line ends with a space e.g "line1 " and "line5 ". And the current line in which I a typing is "lin " with the cursor in front of the space.

To sum it up: autocompletion seems to treat space and newline different regarding word separation.

(I have set autocompletion to appear after 3 characters and the mode is set to Word completion.)

With best regards,
    Lars

• Grindax
    Grindax
    2012-04-10

Don!

Why do you always ignore my question about selecting lines of text by clicking the line number?

Currently, if I click the line number to select a line of text, then the EOL character gets selected too. This is a real problem because, like I always try to tell you, it means I can't use Notepad++ for copying and pasting commands without them getting executed immediately. Why won't you make it possible to select a line without also including the EOL character?

PSPad can do this correctly. Why do you refuse to add this option to Notepad++ ?

• @grindax - just step back a moment, and read your message again.

You can do this, it just means selecting the line with the keyboard, instead of clicking the line number - home, hold shift, end, release-shift, ctrl-c.  You could create a macro to do this, or a tiny python-script to do it, and assign it to a shortcut.  So, this keypress is probably quicker than clicking the line number if your hands are already on the keyboard, if they're not, then  make a toolbar button to do it with Python Script. 

Now, assuming this solution takes 0.5 seconds longer than if you were able to click the line number (I think it's the other way around, but it's just what you're used to I guess) .  That means you're refusing to invest 0.5 seconds of your time, and questioning why Don will not invest several hours of his.  

If you've not added this request to ideatorrent, then I suggest you do it, and then your request can be viewed with the other requests - the most popular generally get implemented.   Don's (and other developer's) time is given free of charge, and therefore they implement the things that are important either to them, or to the most people.  

Also, I highly suspect that a good number of users use the fact that the line-click includes the end-of-line, and would be annoyed if that suddenly changed - which means it would need to be an option, which means more time invested.

Dave.

• Grindax
    Grindax
    2012-04-10

@davegb3, I currently do select commands in text files by holding Shift and then typing either Home or End, as appropriate, to select to the other side of the line. Or I drag select with the mouse being careful to just select the one line. But I've been doing this for the past couple of years and that 0.5 seconds extra each time really adds up. Especially when I'm following procedures which involve copying and pasting hundreds of commands.

I understand and appreciate all your points about this being free of charge, etc. And I really love Notepad++ except for this one shortcoming. But I can't be the only one who copies and pastes commands from a text editor and doesn't want them executed immediately. Surely there are many people who could benefit from this simple option being added. I've recently had to make the switch from Notepad++ to PSPad at work because of this need to copy-and-paste commands but there are several features in Notepad++ that I miss in PSPad. I just really wish that Notepad++ could incorporate this one thing.

• So make a macro - it's three lines in Python-Script, that can be made into a shortcut or a toolbar icon.

lineNumber = editor.lineFromPosition(editor.getCurrentPos())
    text = editor.getTextRange(editor.positionFromLine(lineNumber), editor.getLineEndPosition(lineNumber))
    editor.copyText(text)

Toolbar, menu option, shortcut, you can have them all.

• SEGALA
    SEGALA
    2012-04-10

I'm very curious …

What will ve have the pleasure to discover in the 6.2 version ?
    Is there already something planned ?

Thanks.

Tapiou.

• Anonymous
    2012-04-11

Hey Don,

The FunctionList plugin no longer work  in 6.X etc.

-Doug

• Anonymous
    2012-04-11

Doug, you can use TagsView.

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-04-11

I believe the issue of anti-virus is positive false alert. It's not the first time and it's due to NSIS installer.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-04-11

@grindax :
    In the world of Open Source Software, the force is always with those who contribute.
    To answer your request: selection including eol by clicking on the line number margin is the default behaviour of Scintilla (the edit component used by Notepad++).
    There's no trivial way to modify such behaviour, so if you have the good solution, your contribution is welcome to make an option for it.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-04-11

Doug,

A similar plugin using CTAG (which is more stable) can replace it.
    You can use plugins manager to download it.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-04-11

@tapiou:
    There're still a lot of things to do for the future versions…
    One of the priorities for me is to enhance the current Licence of Notepad++ (GPL) to protect Notepad++ (and its users) from bundling the crapware by the software download sites.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-04-11

A fixed binary for 2 bugs mentioned above is avalable:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/tmp/npp.6.1.bugs_fixed.0412.zip

1. Fix focus on document map bug after its launch.
    2. Fix auto-completion bug.

Please let me know if they are fixed for you.

Don

• Anonymous
    2012-04-12

Hey Don/Bogdan

Thanks for the tip,  The TagView is better and works fine in 6.1//

Thanks for an awesome editor too!

-Doug

• Lars Fischer
    Lars Fischer
    2012-04-12

Hey Don,

npp.6.1.bugs_fixed.0412.zip fixed the auto-completion bug.

Thank you very much,
    Lars

• ArchCarrier
    ArchCarrier
    2012-04-12

Registered just now to post about the auto-completion bug, but now I find it's been fixed already! Thanks for the great work, Don!

• David
    David
    2012-04-12

I use Notepad++ to check and sometimes edit large files - it's the best Windows editor I know for files of hundred-MB size.  But now I'm getting larger files - 700MB and up - and Notepad++ won't open them.  Ironically, Windows 7/64 Notepad will, though only very slowly.

Please increase the file size limit in Notepad++ to 4 GBytes - or more if you use 64-bit addressing.  Thanks.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)