Hex Editor and Delimited Text Editor

Hopkins
2014-07-10
2014-07-24
  • Hopkins
    Hopkins
    2014-07-10

Firstly, huge thanks to Don Ho and all the contributors. Notepad++ has been in use by me on a daily basis for years.

I have always wondered why I have never seen (a) a decent delimited text editing add-in and (b) a hex editor add-in. I realise that there are various ways to manipulate delimited text, but there is no solution that provides neat row/column-based editing and tight control over the input and output on that basis. As for (b), I don't think any solution exists.

I am wondering why this is. Are there some fundamental characteristics of Notepad++ which would prohibit these functions? For example, is the display firmly constrained to be a grid of rows and single character columns?

• Al Le
    Al Le
    2014-07-10

As for (b), thereis the HexEditor plugin.

• Hopkins
    Hopkins
    2014-07-24

Oh, so there is, thank you! And, looking at the dates of the source code, it has been around for ages... What was I thinking?! I'm sure I even checked before making that post. It must be a case of the brain ignoring what it expects not to see...

It also demonstrates that NPP can quite happily show things in a grid, so I suppose it is only a matter of time before someone produces a delimited text plug-in. Perhaps one day I will be in a position to try to program it myself.

• Al Le
    Al Le
    2014-07-24

For delimited text editing I usually use another NP++ plugin. Its name is Excel.