Project Management

S H
2009-03-30
2013-06-29
  • S H
    S H
    2009-03-30

Hello,
         Does any plugin sopport Project Management, please? This function is necessary while editing files of the same project and i can't found it.

regards.

• Jens Lorenz
      Jens Lorenz
      2009-03-31

Don,

let us develop this plugin together. I am considering this since a long time. We can do this based on Favorites Dialog. I can shrink the project to create a base project.

Best Regards
      Jens

• Fool4UAnyway
      Fool4UAnyway
      2009-03-30

I need money to live. That's really necessary. Please send me.

Once again, as stated numerous times before, my suggestion is you search the forums and please _always_ do so _first_, before asking a question (again and again and again)...

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2009-03-30

I'll consider it.

Don

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-02-19

Yes that is the thing is miss most.

Such a great editor and no project management?

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-02-21

Does using sessions to group and open together files of some project help?

CChris

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-02-21

Cchris, I don't understand what you try to tell me

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-02-21

You can use sessions, through Save session… and Load session… to group files together and open them. Using mulriple views, you can open two of these groups simultaneously. Perhaps you'd like to read http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=Project_Management for more details or functionalities.

What is missing for efficient project management?

CChris

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-02-23

cchris,

I don't want to open always all files in my project.
    I just want to open a few files and a few directories.
    Sometimes I close all files in a directory, sometimes I reopen all files in a directory.
    Sometimes all html files in a project, sometimes all css files.

With sessions, I have to open them all and close all the files I don't need (this time).

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-02-23

If the subgroups you'll frequently open are quite stable, you can set sessions for them too. Sessions are independent, o they can overlap at will.

Otherwise, what is the difference with using the Open dialog box, and then pick'n choosing files?

CChris

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-02-24

Yes I know cchris, but it is not quit the same as a good projectmanager.

Add directories to project (scan for only certain file extensions p.e. *.html,*.asp,*.css,*.php), open and close the files you need (even 2 or 3 files - you don't gone a create a session file for every time you want to edit 1, 2 or 3 files)

But……
    Sessions are usable within project management.

Maybe… another solution would be to add also directories to session.

ps: I find it strange that in such a good texteditor basic stuff is created by plugins created not by the creator of the editor.
    I think that a good file explorer / project management and ftp sync is the basis of every good editor.
    Project management is not available, the explorer plugin is not always upgraded together with the np++ upgrade (and has some problems like you can't filter out for more then 1 extension), and the ftp sync is not very stable (and has some problems as well, p.e. open more then 1 file on the server, filters etc.)

• I think that a good file explorer / project management and ftp sync is the basis of every good editor.

File explorer and project management have nothing to do with a text editor. It's an important component of an IDE, but not text editor.
    As for FTP support, I can't even fathom how you came up with that being related in any way with a text editor. IMO, you're lucky to even have an FTP plugin for N++.

Say it with me: T-E-X-T E-D-I-T-O-R. It's made to edit text (really!). Anything else is just gravy.

joce.

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-02-24

Sure, it is only my opinion.
    It is not an absolute truth ;)

In almost all html editors you have ftp editing.
    p.e. if you want to edit files connected at a mysql database like a blog or forum you cannot test the files in a local environment (or you have to setup a local sql server)

I'm not lucky only to have a ftp plugin, I'm lucky also to have notepad++ ;)

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-02-24

Plugins serve exactly this purpose - adding functionaluty which may not be core for a text editor, but important to some activities that connect with text editing. Actuallly, Notepad++ has a lot of built-in HTML/XML related functionality I wouldn't expect from any text editor. I am not a web developer, so I also use another free text editor that has more useful macro and regular expression engine than N++, when I really need them. And I even use an oldie DOS thingy that has advanced features I couldn't find anywhere else, but rarely.

Now back to project management. My earlier qustion still stands. Using the Open regular dialog box, you can pick and choose which files you want. What can an additional project management facility give you? Perhaps the ability to filter displayed files using a combination of extensions rather than just one - is that the big deal? What has been missing from day one imho is a specification of what project management is supposed to do. Only with this 10 line description can it be assessed whether existing facilities are adequate, and what is missing if anything.

CChris

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-02-24

2010-02-24 19:10:16 GMT
    Plugins serve exactly this purpose - adding functionaluty which may not be core for a text editor, but important to some activities that connect with text editing. Actuallly, Notepad++ has a lot of built-in HTML/XML related functionality I wouldn't expect from any text editor. I am not a web developer, so I also use another free text editor that has more useful macro and regular expression engine than N++, when I really need them. And I even use an oldie DOS thingy that has advanced features I couldn't find anywhere else, but rarely.

Yes, me too, but I decided not to use all these different software anymore.
    All have different shortcuts and not everybody has the possibility to change them.
    Everybody has a learning curve and NP++ has most features other editors also have.

Now back to project management. My earlier qustion still stands. Using the Open regular dialog box, you can pick and choose which files you want. What can an additional project management facility give you? Perhaps the ability to filter displayed files using a combination of extensions rather than just one - is that the big deal? What has been missing from day one imho is a specification of what project management is supposed to do. Only with this 10 line description can it be assessed whether existing facilities are adequate, and what is missing if anything.

Sessions are really nice but it is not quit the same as project manager i.m.o.

My ideas why a project management tool is important:
    - In a project I can add different directories on different drives. If I use a session files I do not have the directories open, only the files
    - If I want to open 1, 2 or 3 files I don't create a session file for every little operation.
    - If I don't need a file in a session file anymore I have to save the session again without the file, but If I need the same file again in the future I have to find it again on my whole disk.
    - In a project I can filter the files I want to have and don't want to have in my directory.
    - Often I work in a project on 2, 3 files together, all the other files in a session files makes it more difficult to see what I'm doing.
    - It is not easy to see from which directory a file in a session comes from.

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-02-24

This makes me think of FileMatrix. Perhaps is it still available, this is an old app. Its purpose was to define categories, each one on a tab, where files could be gathered no matter where they actually were.

Using this as a base for a Project management plugin could fulfill most of what you say, or all of it. And perhaps there is some code around - I don't know, just instant thinking about your suggestions.

CChris

• @remoo:
    Notwithstanding what I said before about a text editor, I like the idea to be able to extend Notepad++ to an IDE in certain conditions, and as I stated, a project management tool would be a central piece of it in this perspective. And it definitely look like it's lacking.

Could you state concisely what you'd expect a "project manager" plugin would do? A bullet list of concise features would be
    welcome, as would mock screenshots. This should be posted to IdeaTorrent.

I can't make a promise to work on that in the near future, but if/when I get to it and if no one has stepped up (which would be sad), I would be willing to undertake it.

joce.

• Chemist
    Chemist
    2010-02-25

What in my opinion would be important for an GOOD project managment. (I don't want to say all of this are must haves)

* Explorer like behaviour
    * Define project paths, while using project deppending exlude patterns for direcotrys and/or files (best to use reg-ex for this)
    * Remembering of bookmarks set in a file in the project. So if you close that file, reopen it again, bookmarks will be there again.
    This would need some support of Notepad++ itself: Search in a project, while using the project-specific exlude-pattern.
    Interaction with CCompletion

Just idea's

• bossom
      bossom
      2013-06-29

i agree with :

• Define project paths, while using project deppending exlude patterns for direcotrys and/or files (best to use reg-ex for this).

we can get the project path address.
      like in menu:
      `edit>copy to clipboard>copy current dir. path to clipboard

`edit>copy to clipboard>copy full file path to clipboard

Last edit: bossom 2013-06-29
  • explorer plugin … can't filter out for more then 1 extension

What?! I use Explorer 1.7.2 all the time as the Project Manager and TortoiseSVN integrator.
    If you need a list of files with several extensions, simply separate the extensions with semicolons, e.g. *.cpp;*.h;*.txt
    It will even remember your set of filters in the drop-down list.

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-03-16

I would like to see:

- a possibility to insert only certain file types (p.e. txt, asp, php, in order to filter out p.e. .jpg .gif .swp .tmp .png files)
    - open all files in a project directory
    - open all last opened files
    - filtering within the project (p.e. to see only .asp files)
    - make subdirectory the temporary root
    - add/remove directory to/from project
    - add/remove file to/from project
    - add all opened files to project
    - multiple select files in project and open them
    - file/replace in project folder
    - list of favourite projects
    - run project from commandline
    - decide where to save the project
    - run more then 1 project together
    - file coloring (p.e. all .asp files red, all php files green etc.)

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-03-16

Ok, this seems to be a spec sheet for Project management. Let's see what's available and what is missing.

- a possibility to insert only certain file types (p.e. txt, asp, php, in order to filter out p.e. .jpg .gif .swp .tmp .png files)

What do you mean by "insert"? If that is to view from a folder, then you can, just separate extensions with semicolon, like in "*.xml;*.dll"
    Problem: these filters are not remembered. Please request their recording in the suggested filters.

- open all files in a project directory

type *.* in the Open dlg box

- open all last opened files

If you have enabled Recent file history, this command is at the bottom of the File menu

- filtering within the project (p.e. to see only .asp files)

Same method as 1/

- make subdirectory the temporary root

Settings -> Preferences -> New document/Default directory, select last option and browse for your choice

- add/remove directory to/from project
    - add/remove file to/from project

(*) You can add/remove a file from a session by opening/closing it and then saving again. What does "adding a directory to a project" mean? Perhaps it's he meaning of "project" that needs clarified in this respect.

- add all opened files to project

This is done using Save session…

- multiple select files in project and open them

Done using standard Windows mouse gestures, either in a file manager or in the Open dlgbox

- file/replace in project folder

Use the Filter combo in the Find in Files dialog

- list of favourite projects

??? Probably same clarification as (*) above. Unless this amounts requesting a Recent sessions menu, as requested on IdeaTorrent

- run project from commandline

Assign an extension to your session files, and attach this extension to N++ in your file manager
    If you mean running the master file of a project, then you can use the RunMe or NppExec plugins.

- decide where to save the project

??? The folders and files are there. Perhaps see Settings -> Preferences -> Backup/Autocompletion. Or it depends on (*) again.

- run more then 1 project together

You can run two of them per instance, session record what's in either view

- file coloring (p.e. all .asp files red, all php files green etc.)

You can do this from the file manager. Would you want the colouring to apply only in Notepad++?

CChris

• remoo
    remoo
    2010-03-17

CChris,

Let suppose that Notepad++ has already all features to do Project Management.
    You know all this because you know NP++ as software very very well, but a person who tries NP++ for the
    first time immediately search for Project Management and it isn't there bundled.

If NP++ has already all functions inside will it make NP more heavy to bundle them together in a plugin or menu item?

Believe me I've read yesterday your above message and I have already forgotten most of them.
    You're a senior heavy weight user CChris, your are not an average user ;)

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-03-17

What i think is missing is item #0: what is a "project" supposed to be? Reading the feature list you posted, I was getting two conflicting views for it, hencemy various requests.

Btw: I sure know the software rather well - not perfectly, I still have surprises from time to time.Heavyweight user? Not as much as I'd like, because some key fnctionality is missing (regular expressions that work is one of them, SnR in macros coming right behind). Senior user? I'd say one year, is that senior?

I still use ConText frequently because of those two sore points. It does have a Project menu. I have never used it beyond discovery purposes, not seeing it as really helpful.

Back to the foremost question: what is a project? Basically, a list of files, logically related and often opened together.

I assume all files for a project are in the project directory and subfolders of it, and that those folders do not contain material foreign to the project. Is that true?

Is the subfolder structure to be kept - the file system does that for you - or flattened, like in VS?

I think answering these questions will help understand the problem better. Some small pieces of the puzzle are still pissing in Notepad++, I'm aware of that. Some additions to the session systems are probably required to make it a complete project management tool. Perhaps it's their being called "session" and not "project" that is disturbing?

CChris

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2013-06-29

Hi All,

Although I program for personal needs only, I don't use any project manager, for the time being. The present features of N++, concerning sessions, are quite enough for me !

But, I don't doubt that a real strong Project Manager should be very profitable to professional or advanced developers !

Meanwhile, one may find interest to use the plug-in Session Manager

Just look the different features of this plug-in at the address below :

http://mfoster.com/npp/SessionMgr.html

BTW, the look of this site is quite "impeccable" ! Very clear and nice presentation !

As usual, just download this plug-in with the Plugin Manager

Cheers,

Guy038