Creating visual que points to complex documents

Sonikk
2013-10-12
2013-10-16
  • Sonikk
    Sonikk
    2013-10-12

Hi!

I'm using Notepad++ to write javascript files that often become complex and long. The document map feature that shows a mini-version of the document is really cool, but it makes me miss an additional feature: It would be really cool if one could create large visual cues in the documents. For example, it would be really awesome if we could change the font-size of some headlines to be really huge.

I know Notepad++ isn't a rich text editor, but I think there might be some clever ways around that.

For example, what if we could simply input a special string inside a comment and Notepad++ would know from that string to make the font size of that comment very large?

Or maybe another way to do it would be to have a separate cache file that would remember the font choices based on file name and location? This way the actual document would not be "tainted" by rich text cues.

Last edit: Sonikk 2013-10-12
  • One solution might be to use bookmarks (Ctrl-F2) for this. A bookmark currently makes a small visual difference in the document map, but it's not enough.

• Helllo Sonikk,
    I think Npp is ready to do what you want to do.
    Please look my screenshot :

• Comment are Bigger
    • Preprocesser is very bigger
    • bool is litle biger...

In the menu style configurator, for each language, for each style, you can define the font style of the style :

• Font name
    • Font size ( use it to make style as big as you want )
    • Bold
    • Italic
    • Underline

If you need, create your own java style to define a new element of the grammar.
    This new element would trigger a special style comment title

Code java

//Title : My Title 1

// normal comment:
    document.getElementById("myH1").innerHTML="Welcome to my Homepage";

//Title : My Title 2

// normal comment:
    document.getElementById("myP").innerHTML="This is my first paragraph.";

Attachments
  • Here is a easier solution

Use for a title comment // ........
    Use for a normal comment /* ...... */

In the menu style configurator, language Javascript, Style=CommentLine :

configure the style you want for your title comment : Font, Font size, Bold, Italic, Underline

Look at my screenshot.

Attachments
  • Sonikk
    Sonikk
    2013-10-14

Oh wow, what a nice surprise that it is already possible! Thank you very much for letting me know about this!

• Sonikk
    Sonikk
    2013-10-16

Bummer, I did some testing and it looks like the document map doesn't show the bigger headlines. I guess that my feature request should be that the document map would accurately reflect the styles of the document.

Last edit: Sonikk 2013-10-16