Notepad++ Workers' Day Edition

Don HO
2014-05-02
2014-05-05
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-05-02

I worked hard in Workers' Day in order to release Notepad++ Workers' Day Edition, so enjoy!
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/notepad-6.6-release.html

Don

• if you are running the standalone version, what's the best way to transfer from the old standalone? thank you.

• DC07
    DC07
    2014-05-02

It is really hanging/freezing/not_responding on saving big files ... :(

Last edit: DC07 2014-05-02
    • Don HO
      Don HO
      2014-05-02

Could you provide more info instead of saying it crashes?

Don

• DC07
    DC07
    2014-05-02

• edit a big file (5e6 lines, 2 columns ... 133 MB)
    • try to save
    • notepad++ does not respond, almost no CPU usage, just hanging
    • I'm using "Notepad++ minimalist package"
    • previous versions work nice

• aaaach
    aaaach
    2014-05-03

In version 6.6, as in version 6.5.5, the incremental search results pane does not use the theme provided by the operating system, instead substituting its own colours, as depicted in the attached screenshot at the page where the bug was reported: https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/bugs/4795/. This becomes apparent when using an operating system theme with specifications different from what the incremental search pane uses; for instance, a high contrast inverse theme.

This bug is absent from version 5.9.3; I haven't tested the intervening versions and so cannot indicate which version was responsible for the introduction of this bug.

• someone
    someone
    2014-05-03

Switching to right to left mode gives me mirrored text... and also gives a weird dialog about reloading the file.

Last edit: someone 2014-05-03
    • Don HO
      Don HO
      2014-05-04

Just check it again - this issue is fixed in v6.6

Don

• someone
        someone
        2014-05-05

I'm still seeing the issue in v6.6.1 and v6.6, despite the claim for a fix in the changelog...

Weird.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments
  • Jim Michaels
    Jim Michaels
    2014-05-03

one issue with auto-backup+no-save-on-exit:
    let's say between the time the last backup and the user exits, he has made a change. unless the program force-auto-saves on exit, the data is lost. this is as with any data sampling situation - you can have stuff happening between samples. the backup can be a good thing, it just needs one more function call to make it perfect, another auto-save on exit, which my guess is would only be an event-triggered function-call away. :-)

as for the million-line thing, that could be simply "out-of-memory" with regards to 32-bit architecture. might I suggest 64-bit compilation of scite (can be done) and the rest of infrastructure? I wouldn't mind waiting a while for fixes to code to get that solved. I also sometimes edit huge files, not very often, but when I do, I really need it to work (database SQL and such). any ints and longs would need to be changed to int64_t from <stdint.h> and unsigned would be uint64_t. indexes into vectors are ::size_type, indexes into string are size_t and <algorithm> contains sort(), find(), foreach(), and some other neat stuff that iterates over collections. a installer that has both 32+64-bit binaries inside and chooses the proper binary based on whether the platform is x64 would be nice.
    _WIN64 is a compiler-built-in #define which indicates whether the compiler is 64-bit or not.

I have run into the out-of-memory problem before. it seems to be less of a problem now than it was in the past in 6.5.5, so kudos!

• mg2w
    mg2w
    2014-05-04

Notepad++ 6.6 save file to HanG++
    Outstanding save

Last edit: mg2w 2014-05-04
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-05-04

DC07 & mg2w:

I just fixed the crash issue you have:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/tmp/npp.zip

Could you try it and confirm me if the crash is fixed?

Thank you,
    Don

• DC07
      DC07
      2014-05-04

Yep, it's working :)

Thank you!