Changing files externally to notepad

2014-07-16
2014-07-17
  • David Bailey
    David Bailey
    2014-07-16

I often come across a situation in which I have a file open in NP++, but it is changed by something else. A simple example would be where I am editing a program and viewing the output from that program at the same time.

NP++ recognises that situation, but (to my knowledge) it has only one response - to immediately ask what to do - even if I am editing on a different tab - which can be quite distracting.

Unless there is a feature of which I am unaware, it would be nice to have alternatives - something like:

1) Current default.
    2) Replace silently unless the old file has been altered.
    3) Don't ask unless the file in question is focused on.
    4) Leave the file alone, but highlight a refresh button on the toolbar.

David

• dail8859
    dail8859
    2014-07-16

Go to the menu Settings -> Preferences, click on MISC. and there are a few options under "File Status Auto-Detection"

• David Bailey
    David Bailey
    2014-07-17

Thanks for the replies - I found turning off the dialog box from preferences useful as described above. However, thinking about it, all that is needed is for NP++ to update silently if and only if the file has not been changed. If it has been changed, NP++ should wait until it is about to be edited before asking what to do - thus avoiding distracting the user in another edit.

Finally, is the phrase "File Status Auto-detection" very meaningful? How about "Action when file is changed externally".

David

• David Bailey
    David Bailey
    2014-07-17

Thanks for the replies - I found turning off the dialog box from preferences useful as described above. However, thinking about it, all that is needed is for NP++ to update silently if and only if the file has not been changed. If it has been changed, NP++ should wait until it is about to be edited before asking what to do - thus avoiding distracting the user in another edit.

Finally, is the phrase "File Status Auto-detection" very meaningful? How about "Action when file is changed externally".

David