Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Notepad++ 5.8.1 released

Don HO
2010-09-28
2012-11-13
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-09-28

Please check the following link for more information about 5.8.1 release :
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/release-581/

As usual, please post your report about this new release here.

Don

• The link doesn't work:

Page not found
    The requested page could not be found.

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-09-28

I have to create this thread BEFORE publishing the link above since this 2 pages links on each other mutually.
    It should work now :)

Don

• It does. Yay!

• Anonymous
    2010-09-29

When I go to Help (?) -> Update Notepad++ I get the following error:

Runtime Exception

CreateProcess function call failed

OK  

and then …

Recovery initiating

Notepad++ will attempt to save any unsaved data. However, dataloss is very likely.

OK  

and ….

Recovery success

Notepad++ was able to successfully recover some unsaved documents, or nothing to be saved could be found.

You can find the results at :

C:\Users\dale\AppData\Local\Temp\\N++RECOV

OK  

and then Notepad++ just closes down.

• Anonymous
    2010-09-29

I had another issue when trying to use a User Defined Language.  If I open the User Defined Language dialog via the Language menu, and try docking the dialog, the Undock button does nothing.  The whole User Disfined setting dialog becomes completely unresponsive.  The only way to remove it and get it back again is via the View -> User Defined dialogue … menu item.

• Anonymous
    2010-09-29

When configuring user defines languages, there appears to be no way of high-lighting function names only if there is there is a delimiter (eg "(" open bracket) after its name.  If you turn on prefix mode, then that high-lights the function name and everything else up to a space.  What I'm trying to do is setup something simple for high-lighting Awk scripts.
    This and my 2 previous posts are all using the latest Notepad++ 5.8.1 (Unicode) version.

• I have a problem with the search from the 5.8 that was not solved by 5.8.1.
    When I search on an existing word in a file I select it, I hit ctrl+F, I change the file, and I hit F3. Before it worked, now the search is done on the previous search term, except by clicking the "next" button in the search window.
    Sorry for my English, I'm French.

• 7GOLEM7
    7GOLEM7
    2010-09-29

donho

I have asked.

AUTOCHECKBOX   "Remember current session for next launch", 6309, 55, 164, [s]217[/s], 10
    NEED
    AUTOCHECKBOX   "Remember current session for next launch", 6309, 55, 164, [b]200[/b], 10

i copy full line )))
    You can fix next release?

• Kevin King
    Kevin King
    2010-10-01

I had a problem with recording a macro with 5.8 that appears to be fixed in 5.8.1.  However, I recorded the macro, saved it, then realized I recorded it wrong so I went into Modify Shortcut/Delete Macro and removed it so that I could re-record.  When I look at the Macro menu now the one I deleted is being shown on the menu and the one I did not delete is gone.   If I select the macro from the menu, it crashes notepad++.exe.

Is there a way to edit the macro without having to re-record?

BTW, beautiful job overall.  Love this editor!

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-10-02

This is a confirmed bug, please file a bug report on the Trackers / Bugs SF interface.
    When I do this, the initially present macro (trim spacas & save) disappears from menu, and I don't get a crash, just two macros I recorded under a different name, but shown in the Macro menu as having the same name. So if you tried recording under the same name, iN++ likely got confused.

The only way to edit a recorded macro is through editing shortcuts.xml, so you have to understand how they are recorded (mostly as a sequence of Scintilla messages). This is explained in https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/notepad-plus/index.php?title=Editing_Configuration_Files#.3CMacros.3E

CChris

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2010-10-02

precisonline:

Is there a way to edit the macro without having to re-record?

Yes, macros are stored in shortcuts.xml under the <Macros> node. The notation is a bit cryptic though.

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-10-02

@ golem7777777 :
    it'll be fixed in the next release.

Don

• 7GOLEM7
    7GOLEM7
    2010-10-02

@ donho:
    Thank you! ))
    5.8.1 best for me!

• 7GOLEM7
    7GOLEM7
    2010-10-02

Sorry, but i hahe one more asked.

Edit with &Notepad++ in right click. Is it possible to add translate in installation? When select a native language?

"Title"="Edit with &Notepad++"

RUS "Открыть в &Notepad++"

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-10-03

In a cmd.exe pointing to notepad++ folder, type

regsvr32 /i NppShell_01.dll

Note the /s was removed. You'll get an option dialog where, among other things, the menu entry text can be set.

About having canned labels for automatic translation at startup: please email harrybharry about this.

CChris

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2010-10-05

The Macro recording bug was fixed patially in v5.8.1.
    There was still a bug of recording the non-ASCII characters. This bug is fixed and the modification is commited in SVN.

The next release (v5.8.2) will come up this weekend.

Don

• Dragon Chuang
    Dragon Chuang
    2010-10-06

'Find Previous' has bug.

How to repeat:

1. File / New (Create new file tab)
    2. Paste 'Dim sDateStart : sDateStart'. (don't include the single-quote)
    3. Press 'Ctrl + D' duplicate this line.
    4. Double-Click 'sDateStart'. (highlight the keyword)
    5. Press F3 many time, you will see F3 (Find) function is correct. (some time it's correct, some time not)
    6. Press Shift + F3 many time, you will see Shift + F3 (Find Previous) function is strange.

Other bug:
    After I repeated 'Find Previous' bug many times, Press Ctlr + F will insert a ACK symbol , not show Find dialog.
    Need restart NotePad++

Sorry for my bad english.

thank you. :)

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-10-07

I could not reproduce these problems.  Could you
    * post or upload a sample file?
    * describe what happens when F3 is not correct
    * describe the "strange" behaviour for Find Previous?

CChris

• Dragon Chuang
    Dragon Chuang
    2010-10-08

Sorry for my bad, it is Ctrl+F3 not F3…

How to repeat:
    1. File / New (Create new file tab)
    2. Paste 'Dim sDateStart : sDateStart'.
    3. Press 'Ctrl+D' duplicate this line.
    4. Double-Click 'sDateStart'. (highlight the keyword)
    5. Press F3 Ctrl+F3 (Select and Find Next) many times, will see it's behaviour is correct.
    6. Press Shift+F3 (Find Previous) or Ctrl+Shift+F3 (Select and Find Previous) many times, will see it's behaviour is strange.

Thank you :)

• seyi
    seyi
    2010-10-10

Hello,

I upgraded from 5.7 to the current 5.8.1 and it seems the way the search function works has changed.  Previously, I could highlight a word, hit control f to open the search, hit escape to close the search, and start hitting f3 to search for that term.  In the current version, when i get to the last step of hitting f3, it does not remember the word i just highlighted.  Instead it searches the previous word.  Is there an option or a way to have the search work as it previously did?  Or even better, is there a shortcut way to start searching for a word without opening the search box?

One more :).  I do not think the 'Update Silently' option works correctly.  It has not for a few version now, from what I can tell.  I tend to have an error log always open when developing and in older versions, the error log is automatically updated when an error occurs.  But in recent version, including 5.8.1 the error log does not get updated until I click away from notepad++ and click back.  In general this would not be a problem, but I tend to code on a virtual and run the code on local machine, which is why I never need to click away from notepad++.

Other than that, I have been using notepad++ for as long as I can remember now, and I cannot say I have much to complain about.  Its awesome.  Thanks for supporting it.

• cchris
    cchris
    2010-10-10

You can search for a word without opening the search box using the Search and Find Next/Previous commands. Default shortcute for these are Ctrl+F3  / Ctrl+Shift+F3.

I'll liik into the behaviour change you just reported, as well as the issue Drajuang posted about.

CChris

• Patrick Dickey
    Patrick Dickey
    2010-10-10

I just wanted to let you know that this installs under Wine 1.3.3 in Ubuntu without any issues.  I haven't really started playing around with it yet, so I'll have to edit it to let you know of any issues that I find (realizing that you're coding this for Windows, so they probably won't be fixed since it's an emulator).

Thanks for an awesome product. :)
    Patrick.

On a side note, do you have any issues with someone trying to compile this natively in Linux?  Regardless of whether there's a similar product already in place (vi, emacs, gedit, kate, or whatever), this is by far my favorite.

• Dragon Chuang
    Dragon Chuang
    2010-10-11

@cchris
    Yes, I am using 5.8.1. I can reproduce this issue on Windows 7 32 bit (traditional chinese) and Windows XP 32 bit SP3 (traditional chinese). 'Wrap around' was checked, but 'Ctrl+Shift+F3' or 'Shift+F3' still can not cycle back through all items.

Thank you :)

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)