Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Go into careware status

Don HO
2006-04-27
2012-11-13
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2006-04-27

Hi,

I want to transform Notepad++ project in careware status (by keeping GPL license of course).
    My idea is to share each donation that Notepad++ gets with an organization of charity.
    That means each contributor does a donation via sourceforge (or not) to the account of paypal, a part of this donation (80%) will be dispatched to the organization in question automatically. I don't know if it's possible such procedure and I prefer the way that there're the minimum administrative procedures possible.

I don't know (yet) which organization of charity will be destination of our donation, but I'm sure the big ones such as the ICRC (Red Cross) or MSF (Médecins Sans Frontières) are excluded from the list, in view of the fact that they are well-known enough to get their finance.

So if you have any idea (link) about a charity project which needs the finance and/or how to apply the procedure automatically, please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Don

• SpeedyTD
      SpeedyTD
      2006-04-30

Hi Don,

I think it is a great idea to make n++ careware. It is amazing that you are not just providing us with a great piece of software for free, but even willing to share your potential benefits with others in need. It is great to see there are still some really good people out there.

I don't know much about paypal automatization, but I am sure it can be done. All you need is access to the transaction details of donators (esp. the sum of their donation), then you calculate the percentage with your own script which will send an order to your paypal account to send the money to a paypal account of the charity. Possible paypal functions to achieve this might be "Instant Payment Notification", "Payment Data Transfer", or "Web Services and APIs", which you can test in the "Sandbox". Maybe the following website could be a starting point for ideas:
      https://www.paypal.com/en/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_additional-payment-feature-list-outside#backend

Let us know when careware is set up, I will be one of the first to donate.

Good luck & once again thanks for your great program, n++!