Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Regex replace, parentheses in replace with

Anonymous
2012-04-06
2012-11-13

• Anonymous
    2012-04-06

Hi ,
    in previous versions  if we replace something in regex mode with a sentence like (foo) parentheses is also included in result, but with the version 6, now parentheses in replace with string must be escaped with \ character. For repeat this try:

-open a new document
    -write 1 in it
    -replace 1 with (foo) in regex mode
    -now document only includes foo (in old versions documents contains (foo) )

• Yes, it's a side effect of the new regular expression support.  You answered your own question though - you can escape the parentheses with \.

What it means, is that you can do advanced replaces:

With the text

hello test 153
    hello test word
    something test 63822
    something test wibble

Search for:

test\s([0-9]+)?

Replace with

(?1NUMBERS:not numbers)

?1 says "if grouped expression 1 was matched, then replace with the following, otherwise replace with what comes after the ':'.

For a full list of everything you can do, see http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/format/boost_format_syntax.html

So yes, you need to escape your parentheses for the replacement string, but you get a whole load of functionality in return.

Dave.

• Anonymous
    2012-04-09

Thank you Dave,
    i am not aware of this new functionalities. Generally i do simple replacements with regex and i will miss unescaped replace with string, but new features are also cool.

• BloodyRain2k
    BloodyRain2k
    2012-07-02

I can confirm that this bug still exists in 6.1.4

• If you read the rest of this thread, you'll see it isn't a bug.