Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Official release - v5.9.8

Don HO
2012-01-05
2012-11-13
  • palladium
    palladium
    2012-01-05

Great! I really hated that border around the edit zone. Anyway, as a minor issue, there are still some parts of Npp which are not translated, like the "would you like to save" dialog when closing without saving, and the "number of matched occurrences" dialog (Search > Find > Count).

• Anonymous
    2012-01-06

Thanks!.

The new features in the Project Manager are a nice addition.

• MrBig Ouzo
    MrBig Ouzo
    2012-01-06

Nice program,
    but if i update to a new version, every time my own contextMenu.xml is overwritten by the standard file.

• oh-nice
    oh-nice
    2012-01-06

next time you can download the minimalistic package and then you can compare whats new and take it.

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-01-07

@mrouzo:

Fixed.
    In next release contextMen.xml won't be overrided by installer.

Don

• R Wilmshurst
    R Wilmshurst
    2012-01-10

One problem, not sure if this thread is the right place to post it, but here goes: if Word wrap is enabled from the View menu and the Compare plugin is used via the Plugins -> Compare -> Compare, then the two compared files lose word wrap. View -> Word wrap is still ticked. If the compare is closed then View -> Word wrap has to be invoked again to restore the word wrap. This is 5.9.8 Unicode, Compare 1.5.6.1

Thanks

• Squid
    Squid
    2012-01-11

What was the point of allowing the app_data plugins to override the defaults. As a sysadmin I might want to allow users to install plugins but not necessarily be able to overwrite plugins that I've installed with the system.

• As a sysadmin I might want to allow users to install plugins but not necessarily be able to overwrite plugins that I've installed with the system.

A different sysadmin might also want to allow the users to update the plugins that they use.

Practically, it's pretty hard to identify that a plugin is "duplicated" - DLL name can obviously be changed by the user, and some plugins report their name based on the filename.  So if a user really wanted a different version they could always get round it.

From a "logical usage" point of view, either you allow users to install plugins, and they are taken first, together with what is installed at a system level, or you don't.  Too many if's and but's in a rule about which plugin was taken could cause confusion.  I think the way it is is obvious to use. 

You're welcome to add an idea on ideatorrent to request that a second option be added to not allow overriding plugins that are already installed.

• Stefan Pendl
    Stefan Pendl
    2012-01-12

I would just make sure that the allow APPDATA XML file is not present and there is nothing overridden.

• Stefan

• Andrew Vick
    Andrew Vick
    2012-01-13

I'm having a problem with the search and replace.  Consider the following file with leading spaces:

this is text
     this is text
        this is text (this line has 4 leading spaces)

I'm trying to remove just the first space from all lines.  If I search and replace the regular expression /^ /, it removes all leading spaces - including all four from line 3.  If I search and replace /^./, it removes all characters from the file, leaving nothing but blank lines.

I'm using version 5.9.8 UNICODE on Windows XP SP 3, and I had the same problem on version 5.6.2.  Can anyone else reproduce this behavior?

• palladium
    palladium
    2012-01-14

@andrewvick
    You don't have to use slashes. Just type "^ " or "^\s" (without quotation marks).

• Fool4UAnyway
    Fool4UAnyway
    2012-01-15

There are two work-arounds for this "keeps eating" problem.

1. The regular Ctrl+H Replace dialog.

The problem is that, after removing the first character, the search engine still thinks it is at the first position of the line. Well, it may be, but this surely isn't the start of the line as you intend it to be. You can work around this problem bij (re)placing a character at the first position.

Use the following regular expression in the Find field:
    ^ (.)

In the Replace By field, enter this:
    \1

This will re-place the first captured group, which is indicated in the Find field by parentheses.
    So this will replace the originally second character. This new first character will make the search position move to the (newly) second character of the adjusted line.

2. Use the Text FX Replace dialog (Ctrl+R).

In this dialog, you can check the "1 per line" checkbox.

You can then use the regular expression as intended.

In the Find field, enter without quotation marks:
    "^ "

Leave the Replace By field empty.

• Actually, in the suggested solution:

Use the following regular expression in the Find field:

^ (.)

In the Replace By field, enter this:

\1

Change the find pattern to

^ (.*)

to make it work correctly with lines containing just a single space character in them.

Best regards,
      Jurko Gospodnetić

• iCore
    iCore
    2012-01-16

Hi,
    Well, it's not a bug report, just an idea.

That would be fine, if the default languages could be modified, and be visible in the Language menu with a new name without learning C++ or Visual Basic and compile a new dll. For example, I want to modify the C only by adding/removing/editing keywords and functions, but not colors or styles.

User-defined would be good for it, because that makes an XML file, but:
    - We can't base on the C language
    - It doesn't highlight the pair of the brackets when we select one
    - We can't define functions

So it would be a very cool improvement, if you could do it somehow.

Thank you.

• marvin
    marvin
    2012-01-16

hi,

i attempted to download from the links provided
    and norton intercepted with a "malicious web site blocked" page,
    i am new to this sw and did not have the problem with the v5.9.6.2

please advise

thanx
    ;r

• marvin
    marvin
    2012-01-17

hi,

i do not know if this is the correct place to report this,
    nonetheless,
    regarding my previous post;
    upon further investigation it appears that three years ago
    the link "hxxp://download.tuxfamily.org/lilicreator/virtualbox/VirtualBox.zip"
    had a virus symantec identifies as "Suspicious.MH690"
    and for some reason has decided to condemn the entire "download.tuxfamily.org" domain
    i have commented on the symantec safe web page
    and reported the issue to the tuxfamily support email.

best of all,
    i now have the new release of notepad++

thanx
    ;r

• PVT
    PVT
    2012-01-20

Hi,

Could you add Tab hotkey feature to Project panel in next version to switch to editor panel?

• DBNinja
    DBNinja
    2012-01-24

So my coworker found an interesting bug.

If you try to insert a block comment after selecting a block of text that is past the cr/lf in a set of lines (using alt click to select the line and alt + c to insert the text), notepad++ will crash.

end of this line here - >|                selected line    ->|
    And I try to select a block above and below this character ->|
    end of this line here ->|                 selected line    ->|

• superuser
    superuser
    2012-02-10

First of all, thanks a lot guys for providing this wonderful software! I started using Notepadd++ recently, and have found Notepad++ superior all other editing tools I was using earlier.

I have a question specifically about folds.

Is there an easy way to add keywords which indicate the begin and end for fold? I see that for SQL, folds don't always work when CASE statements are used. Notepad++ identifies "

CASE

" to be a keyword to start a fold, and looks for "

END CASE

" to end the fold. However, this syntax is valid only in PL/SQL. In plain simple SQL, a

CASE

ends simply with an "

END

".

So, want to find if there is an easy approach to fix this? If not, can this be kindly taken for a future release?

• Anonymous
    2012-02-12

Mark functionality (4th tab of Find _ dialog) isn't accessible easily. Unlike for other 3 pages in _Find dialog (Find, Replace, Find in Files), there is no 'Mark…' item in Search menu, opening Find dialog on 'Mark' tab.

There's also issue with tabbed control UI component in the whole NP++: Ctrl+Tab is not switching tabs in tabbed control. Assigning accelerator to tab (e.g. '&Replace in Files') shows underlined letter but keyboard does not work.

• Anonymous
    2012-02-13

Think there is an issue with this application and network shares.  I've had an issue where a network drive went down and i attempted to save.  The application hangs and does not respond.

The second issue is if you wait long enough for the network drive to come back online.  The application thinks the file is on the drive is new and asks to reload your document.  If you click no it will then not show the save button so you can save your work.  The application never saved the changes so the save icon should be enabled and not disable in this event.

• TmpUser
    TmpUser
    2012-03-01

BR: export & import buttons captions are inversed in the "user defined language panel"

- user defined language panel
    - import button: it open a "save as" dialog instead of  "open"
    - export button: it opens a "open" dialog instead of "save as"

- Npp version latest, 5.9.8 from the 4 Jan.

• d_ark
    d_ark
    2012-03-20

Hi.

There is a bug in this version. When I create plain text file in NPP and save it (even if it's empty), I get 3 extra bytes in the begining of the file : EF BB BF.

Works on any PC with NPP 5.9.8

• cchris
    cchris
    2012-03-23

This is not a bug. Your default document encoding seems to be UTF-8 with BOM. Change this to ANSI or UTF-8 without BOM, depending on what the files are for.

CChris