Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Suggestion: Move "Replace in Files" button to its own Tab

2013-04-19
2014-08-27
  • JavaScriptDude
    JavaScriptDude
    2013-04-19

I have been using Notepad ++ for some time and love it. Great tool.

I have one big issue with the tool though. The Replace in Files button is way too easy to accidentally press and it is a very dangerous usecase to have accidentally run! Every time I open the Find in Files dialog, my heart always skips a beat when I see that button. Having the button right under the "Find All" button makes it way too easy for users to accidentally press it and have very bad consequences if they are not paying attention. I caught myself just yesterday fat fingering the button and I just about hit ok on the confirmation warning dialog. Scary!

As the Find in files is something I like to use a lot, this is something that should get fixed.

Can someone please consider creating a new Tab called "Replace in Files" and remove the "Replace in Files" button from the "Find in Files" tab?

I have discussed with other peers in my development team and they all concur that the current design is unnecessarily fault prone.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,
    - TCQ

• rustnail
      rustnail
      2014-08-27

Totally agreed, I have just destroied every file that opened by accidentally clicked "replace all in all opened files".

This button is too dangerous, especially in the afternoon, after you have coded all day and opened countless files.

• rustnail
      rustnail
      2014-08-27

Totally agreed, I have just destroied every file that opened by accidentally clicked "replace all in all opened files".

This button is too dangerous, especially in the afternoon, after you have coded all day and opened countless files.

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2013-04-20

Hi, JavaScriptDude,

I agree with your proposition.It'll be more secure !

However, when you click on the "Replace in Files" button, in "Find in Files" tab,
    a confirmation dialog appears, which says :

"Are you sure you want to replace all occurrences in : <Choosed Path>
    for file type : <Choosed Type>"

with the two buttons : "OK" and "Cancel".

Unfortunately, the button "OK" is selected, by default. So, if your press
    "Enter" key, by mistake, it's just too late !!!

Thus, may I suggest, a small modification which would be easy to do ?

In this confirmation dialog, set the "Cancel" button as default button.

Best Regards,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-04-20
  • JavaScriptDude
    JavaScriptDude
    2013-05-06

Although I still prefer a separate tab for Replace in Files button for a long term direction, your suggestion to remove focus on the button is a good step in the right direction and is an easy win :)