Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Show lines containing a searching argument

2007-07-12
2012-11-13
  • After some months using Notepad++ I saw an enhancement that I think is missing and is very useful.

When you search an argument (via ctrl-F) it shows the next line that contains this argument. My suggestion is that, in this case, Notepad++ open a window showing all lines that contain the searching argument(like Ultraedit from IDM computer solutions or KEDIT from mainsfield software group). It is so useful to allow user find the line he wants directly. User just click over the line he wants to find/see...

Greetings from Sao Paulo - Brazil

Ricardo

• I can only echo this request.  Notepad++ is brilliant.  The only reason I keep Ultraedit on my machine is because of the search function described above. If you search in a file for a bit of text, a new window pops up with all the lines containing the search text.  By selecting a specific line, the main window scrolls to that line in the file.

Please help me get rid of Ultraedit :-)

• steakhacher
      steakhacher
      2007-07-12

I think that using the same that find in files could be a good idea

• pshute
      pshute
      2007-07-13

Good idea.  Acrobat Reader does this too.  But have you tried the "Mark Line" option in the find command (control+F)?  When you tick it, the "Find All" button is enabled, and if you click it then it finds every occurence and marks the lines they're on.  It's not what you described, but it means you can easily scroll through a see which lines were marked, so it's not a bad alternative.

If you tick the "Style found token" option, it will also mark the actual text it found.

• MJG
      MJG
      2007-07-15

Or maybe just add a "current file" to the "Filters:" dropdown list as a quick workaround?  --Joel

• Hi Joel!

I think I can't understand your post. May you develop an explanation, please?

Ricardo

• MJG
        MJG
        2007-07-29

In version 4.1.2, when you perform a "Find in Files" search and set the filter (e.g., *.txt), Notepad++ opens a docked window at the bottom of the main window showing clickable lines with line numbers for all the matches found in all the files whose names matched the filter.

You can do this with a single file, too.  Just set the filter on the "Find in Files" tab to be the explicit filename for the file (e.g., "readme.txt").  This creates a docked window at the bottom with matches for that file only.

To get the filename easily, you can right-click on the tab for the file and select "Filename to Clipboard".  Then open the search dialog and select the Find in Files tab.  Paste from the clipboard into the "Filters" dropdown combobox field.

Unfortunately, this does not track any unsaved changes to the copy currently in memory, although it uses that copy when you double-click on a line in the "Find result" window.  --Joel

• Great!

I need no better solution that this one!

Thank you Joel!

Cheers