Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Notepad++ version 5.8.6 released

Don HO
2010-12-19
2012-11-13
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2011-01-08

@ usacad1:

Notepad++ provides plugin API which has not changed for long time.
    The plugin API ensures the compatibility of plugins with any version of Notepad++.

However, the plugins can always do some hacks by "subclassing" Notepad++. It's not recommanded since something terrible can happen if plugin authors don't have total control on which they are doing. That is exactly what happens on some unstable plugins. Plugin authors can subclass Notepad++ to gain some flexibilities (and I believe it's the case of most popular and stable plugins), on the other hands, they should know exactly what they are doing and avoid all the pitfalls.

To answer your request: there's no reason to do the walk around in Notepad++ codes. The plugins API does exist and it worksfine  for all the plugins. The best solution is to fix the plugin in question once for all.

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2011-01-08

@ ajua:

I ensure you that the zip package is always portable.
    What does make you say the contary?

Don

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2011-01-08

@ buggeer:

The advantage of installer is that you can select/unselect the components you want.
    Just unselect all will make a minimalist installation.

Don

• Ryuroden
    Ryuroden
    2011-01-11

The new Notepad ++ is much slower than old version.

After install the new one, mine take long long time to start and long long time to edit a sentence…

• Don,
    Any reason why NppExec was only included in ANSI in this release?  It's one of the really popular plugins…

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Joshua
    Joshua
    2011-01-23

With Notepad 5.8.2, I was able to get the program to automatically select actionscript (.as) syntax when opening an actionscript file by modifying the lang.xml (and lang.model.xml) file by removing as entry for Haskell extension.

With this update (5.8.6), notepad does not seem to use actionscript syntax anymore even though "as" extension was removed from Haskell supported extension list in lang.model.xml.

I rolled back to 5.8.2. It would be great if this was fixed.

Cheers.

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-01-23

It is in langs.xml that the support for .as in Haskell has to be removed. The .model. file is only a backup used when the loading of langs.xml fails.

CChris

• Joshua
    Joshua
    2011-01-23

@cchris

Yes, I have even tried that. But it seems to ignore it.

I forgot to mention this: the 5.8.6 installer does not seem to install langs.xml (just langs.model.xml). I discovered this by removing my Notepad++ directory under 'Program Files' directory prior to installing the 5.8.6 build.

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-01-24

So must be using Vista or higher. Under these versions, because of UAC issues, langs.xml is in %APPDATA\Notepad++ no matter whether you choose portable mode or not.

CChris

• Joshua
    Joshua
    2011-01-24

Actually, my machine is windows XP 32 bit.

It used to be working fine, until i upgraded to 5.8.6.

Have you tried reproducing the issue?

1. Uninstall Notepad++
    2. Remove Notepad++ folder from Program Files
    3. Install Notepad 5.8.6
    4. langs.xml isn't located in Program Files. Only langs.model.xml.
    5. Even if you copied the old 'langs.xml' from the previous version, and removed 'as' extension from Haskell, it doesn't work. Notepad still open actionscript file with haskell syntax highlighting. If I had disabled Haskell, notepad would use 'text' syntax highlighting instead of 'Flash actionscript'

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-01-25

Please check %APPDATA\Notepad++\langs.xml, and make the adjustment there.

CChris

• Joshua
    Joshua
    2011-01-25

@CChris

Right, I see!

So langs.xml is now relocated to %APPDATA%\Notepad++\langs.xml.

Should have mentioned this somewhere in the release notes. Would've saved us an headache or two..

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-01-25

This is being done automatically if you install as unprivileged user. Otherwise, you are liable to get the dreaded "Load langs.xml failed" error that has been reported many times here, and that even has its own NpWiki++ page.

CChris

• JDG
    JDG
    2011-01-27

Hi Don,

I just noticed this release broke my little fix to let the toggle block comment behave like it used to do under Scintilla for Ruby. I changed the line-comment for Ruby in langs.xml in to '#~' so one can use it to quickly comment out portions of code regardless the presence of regular comment. But it doesn't work this way anymore…

• B-Techuser-1
    B-Techuser-1
    2011-01-29

HI, (myfirst comment here, I think, anyway)

I like the idea of the minimalist package release. I often go through the install options and deselect every theme and unneeded other things. So this looks like a winner.

I should also say, and should have posted earlier, that NPP 5.8x  is much more stable now than earlier versions in the 5.6x, 5.7x series which I found crashed often with non-standard files. Esp crashed in 5.6x with .txt and .nfo files that contained non-standard characters. (Note that those same such files did not crash my Metapad editor and did not crash NFOPad editor). So thank you for the resiliency stability improvements.

• Yes please! keep the minimalistic version (especially portable) on! I love it!

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)