Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Requested Features

2007-11-30
2012-11-13
  • Hi,

Thanks very much for the editor. I am fairly new, I am not sure as some of the suggestions may already exist.

Here are my suggestions:

Important:

Have a Project - where user can create a project, consisting of many files. He should be able to move around the files in an explorer type window. Then save the files as a project. When opening the project, all associated files open as well.

Define a place to run a compiler (or other app) on the current file (and possibly display output from that command in a window)

No ability to re-define current language definitions via Notepad++

Have a clipboard manager where user can clip many bits of text, and name clip. Clipboard manager displays the name of clipped text, but ALSO THE TEXT CLIPPED.  User should be provided with quick access to clip menu (e.g in-screen popup)

Not so important:

Print Preview
    Export to HTML (or other)
    File Info (creation date, num words, chars, size etc)

Thank you

• TodWulff
      TodWulff
      2007-12-28

Happy Holidays, all.

Not to hijack the thread, but rather to expand on one of the suggestion that the initial poster made.  I want to key in on something that I am not grasping with the execution of external applications:

>> Define a place to run a compiler (or other app) on the current file
      >> (and possibly display output from that command in a window) 

> Use NppExec - BTW, the newest version will come out soon. It's very sweety ;)

Don, I have been making use of the Run Dialogue as you have explained here:
      http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/run-HOWTO.php

I have found that once configured properly, that there isn't much that I need to do that I can not...  For those more complex tasks, I use a scripting tool like Perl or AutoHotKey.  It is nice to be in the Editor, and be able to click a single NPP menu item and have the source opened up in my embedded MCU tools, compiled, flashed, and ran, all via a single keystroke/mouse click inside of NPP - Wicked Frigging Kewl if you ask me.!.  Kudos.

What I am struggling with, in the context of this thread, is the specific reference you make to the NPPExec Plugin.  Can you please explain what the plugin brings to the table that the Run Dialogue doesn't?

Also, to add to the features suggestions, is there a means to add buttons to the tool bar specifically for the use of kicking off external commands?  i.e. have the ability to link user-added button to Run Dialogue commands?

Finally, specific to the NPPExec Plugin (DV & Don) if you are going to migrate over to that in lieu of the Run Dialogue, will there eventually be a means to do hot-key mapping to the saved scripts?

Don, and others, it is often said, but never more heartfelt, Thank you for such a fine product!!!

Take care.  Have a great new year!

-t

• DV
      DV
      2007-12-28

Tod,

please follow this link:
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1891880&forum_id=672146

and read the last message in that thread (dated by 2007-12-24).
      Don't get me wrong, but it's not inspired to explain the same things to different people in different forums.

• > I am not sure as some of the suggestions may already exist.

Didn't you check this by searching the very same forum first?

> Have a Project

Is that important? Gee, you might have missed an earlier discussion about this. Maybe you can think of some reasons why somebody would _not_ want to have that in an editor...

I suppose, if you want to buy a vehicle to move from A to B, you don't end up having a truck, if you have no load to move. I guess this is because, before you buy, you get to know what kind of vehicles there are. Perhaps you should check out the sites mentioned in the About screen of (again) the forum(s).

> Not so important:

Your message.

> Thank you

You're welcome. I wish you much joy finding and using an application or tool that does suit your purposes.

• fidvo
      fidvo
      2007-11-30

Here are some ideas:

Running a compiler:  See this page:

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/run-HOWTO.php

Clipboard manager:  It's not exactly what you want, but there's a multi-clipboard plugin available.  Search the forums for "multi-clipboard".

Export to HTML:  My newly released Simple Script plugin should be able to help.  It includes a couple of samples that convert text to html.  Tweak them as needed.  You should be able to design a script to convert to other text-based formats as well.

Num words: TextFX -> TextFX Tools -> Word Count

Maybe someone else who knows more than me can help with the rest of your requests.

For future reference, searching the forums before asking questions should help avoid negative responses like the above poster.

• To Mr. Nobody/Anonymous (nobody) - 2007-11-30 11:52

Hey Are you developing this program?

If the answer is No, then I suggest you keep your petty opinions to yourself. I am making suggestions, not forcing the issues.

If you are not coding this program, then it shouldn't affect you - in which case you can keep your trap shut.

FYI I have used PsPad - which has some of those features, and they work very well. Maybe you have not heard about working in an organized way?

At least there are some courteous people who offer Support and advise

I also use N++ and I am quite happy to use this daily. So I will not be looking at alternatives just yet.

• Is this an open source project or a wide open mouthy jerk forum? I agree with the positive feedback on this issue. Everyone's opinion is welcome. I wish someone would get a hold of this problem. I think you should make it an ID and password forum so the real jerk's could can get removed from participation. Think of all the wonderful innovations that have come from perceived "dumb" ideas (not that this is one of them)? There are a lot of them. It can spark creative thought.

Bob

• > I am making suggestions, not forcing the issues.

This is quite a humorous thread. You are not forcing (of course, because you can't!), but you think it is up to you to tell us what is important and what is not, what features _should_ do, which features should be _disabled_ and add things that can be done by using other tools or that are already in Notepad++?

> Maybe you have not heard about working in an organized way?

What kind of an idiot are you to come up with this assumption? Are you hurt in your pride by my smart remarks? If you really want to get somewhere don't start talking about things that don't matter and certainly not to degrade me. You simply can't.

> At least there are some courteous people who offer Support and advise

How about reading the documentation first, before you request something that is already there??? This is also a piece of advise.

Eventually, Notepad++ will conquer, so there isn't a need to look for something else.

• Don HO
          Don HO
          2007-12-18

Sure we should search forums before asking, it will make both requesters' and forum maintainers' life easier.
          However, here's the place to ask the questions and discuss some issues, that's why the forums' URL are pointed in the Notepad++'s help menu.

Some feature requests/suggestions (even they exist) are not harmful.
          What the project developers don't like, is the abusive complaints and impolite manner like this thread :
          https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1888031&forum_id=331754

So it's not my intention to make Notepad++ forums unfriendly.

Don

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2007-12-18

> Have a Project - where user can create a project, consisting of many files.
      > He should be able to move around the files in an explorer type window.
      > Then save the files as a project. When opening the project, all associated files open as well.

Use the Explorer plugin - it contains also a project manager.

> Define a place to run a compiler (or other app) on the current file
      > (and possibly display output from that command in a window)

Use NppExec - BTW, the newest version will come out soon. It's very sweety ;)

> No ability to re-define current language definitions via Notepad++

What do you mean re-define current language? If you mean to change the key words styles and add more keywords, use build-in stylers configurator.

> Have a clipboard manager where user can clip many bits of text, and name clip.
      > Clipboard manager displays the name of clipped text,
      > but ALSO THE TEXT CLIPPED. User should be provided with quick access to clip menu (e.g in-screen popup)

Search in Plugins forum then you'll find the URL to download it.

> Print Preview

I'll consider it.

> Export to HTML (or other)

Coming soon. There's already a beta release, check in Plugins forum.

> File Info (creation date, num words, chars, size etc)

Explorer plugins.

More features you can find in the plugins :
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/

Don

• >> Export to HTML (or other)

> Coming soon. There's already a beta release, check in Plugins forum.

Isn't this functionality already there using the WinHighlight plugin with WinHighlight? Works for me here, or are we talking about something else?

Bob.