Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

v6.4.5 - Regression fix

Don HO
2013-08-09
2013-09-29
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2013-08-09

A regression has been found in just released v6.4.4, hence this new release for the regression fix:
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/notepad-6.4.5-release.html

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Don

• stepher
      stepher
      2013-08-13

Don,

I tried to get a response with a posting (https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/331753/thread/e7cd04ce/), but to no avail. So, I thought I'd take a more direct approach :)

Any knowledge as to whether FunctionList is going to be enhanced with sorting choices (and when)? I'm still on V6.3.3 where I can use the add-on version (which is working fine for me). I'm really hoping FunctionList in the current versions 6.4.X+ is updated/enhanced so I can move forward in version.

Or, have I just not looked hard enough to find the sorting options that may now exist for FunctionList?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide on this.

Cheers and Regards....Steph

• Loreia2
        Loreia2
        2013-08-13

Hi stepher,

I can't talk for Don, but I can give you my opinion. Function list is a work in progress, each new Npp revisions brings further improvements to FL feature. So, you just need to be patient and alphabetic sorting will be added to it.

Off course, code patches are always welcome.

BR,
        Loreia

• stepher
          stepher
          2013-08-13

Loreia,

I appreciate your reply.

I can be patient. No problem. I was just trying to get a sense of FunctionList and its progression (and importance) now that it was an integral part of NPP.

While I can be technical and can do both h/w and s/w, I'm not sure my doing a "spaghetti code" version for the FL sorting options would be much appreciated :) Also, I've never looked at the source code so I'm not sure if it's in my wheelhouse, so to speak. However, you have peaked my interest and I may find some time to peruse things.

Thanks again.

Cheers...Steph

• Don HO
            Don HO
            2013-08-13

Steph,

I confirm what he said Loreia.

Don

• stepher
              stepher
              2013-08-13

Don,

Thank you for the confirmation. I will look forward to seeing the FL updates as they become available (I may even take a poke at it myself...or not).

Cheers....Steph

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2013-08-09

Hi Don, and All,

Some thoughts about the new 6.4.5 version :

1)

The bug, about Tab Settings, since the 6.4.2 version, that I related, at the address below, seems, now, fixed, in this 6.4.5 version :) Thanks for the fixing.

https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/331753/thread/3f628496/#1b1b

2)

I like the new possibilities to directly switch from one tab to the next or the previous one ( CTRL + Page Up / Down ) and to select one of the first nine tabs ( CTRL + Numpad 1-9 )

But, personally, I prefer the excellent plugin "File Switcher" of Dave Brotherstone, because, in addition to the switching mode, you can perform a total search on filename and/or path and/or file index and/or view. Moreover, I already use the shortcuts CTRL + Numpad 1-5 for the Mark All / Unmark All functions !

3)

To see the exact number of selected characters, in the status bar, was really necessary, but, may I suggest to keep displaying the number of bytes, let say, between brackets, for example : Sel 10 (17)|x ? It may be useful for UTF-8 or UTF-8 without BOM files, because length of characters can be 1, 2 or 3 bytes.

By the way, there's a very minor bug : If selection leads in a single line, without the EOL characters, the status bar show Sel x|0, with x = the number of selected characters. The right display should be Sel x|1. Indeed, as soon you add the characters CR+LF to the selection, the status bar indicates : Sel x+2|2 for a "Windows" file, that is quite correct !

Cheers,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-08-09
  • Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-08-10

Hi Guy,

about 3)

adding another number is problematic because there is not enough room for another large number. If millions of lines and characters are selected, you won't be able to see whole number. And most users won't be able to intuitively guess meaning of second number (the one in braces).
    Besides, why would this information (number of bytes) be useful for user? I can't think of a single use case where this would be useful. Can you give an example?

About the bug.
    That is not a bug, that number was put in there on purpose. Number of lines is calculated as "number of new lines plus 1". This logic works just fine as long as you have at least one new line in selection. But if your selection excludes newline characters, or if nothing is selected, than you don't have line selection, therefore counter says zero.
    This seemed like a logical choice when I wrote the code, but if my logic is flawed this can be easily changed as just two lines of code (literally !) need to be changed. I guess this one is opened for debate.

BR,
    Loreia

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2013-08-11

Hi Loreia2,

Pleased to chat with you, a bit !

Sorry to bother you with these tiny problems :( Indeed, you're perfectly right about the two points :

• I didn't think that, in case of a big file, for example, the physical place, in status bar, may be too short to display all the other necessary characters !

• For the point relative to the number of selected lines, of course, the logic of your code imply these results and, unless some people considers it as a disadvantage, it would be ridiculous to waste time on that very small point !

Let us concentrated on real problems :)

Cheers,

guy038

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-08-13

Hi THEVENOT Guy,

my stance is, tiny or not, if something is a problem, it should be fixed. Also, if users want something, who am I to oppose it :-)

So,discussions are important to see what is the best cause of action for certain problems. I guess this data (statistics about selected text) should be added to Preferences menu. In that way users could select what they want shown in menu, and they could also select what it means to "select a line" (e.g. when this small feature was published, someone asked me to count only those lines that are selected fully).

Since this is a simple task, it may draw somebody's attention. I am not going to work on it, as I am busy with other things.

BR,
    Loreia

• 7GOLEM7
    7GOLEM7
    2013-08-16

Don HO
    I beg you to make the font larger +1 in search box result.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2013-08-22

I'll make the untranslatable items available asap.

Don

• TechRaven
    TechRaven
    2013-08-22

Something in the 6.45 release is seriously messed up it seems for me.. I consistently get the program stuck in an infinite loop.. Using the mouse wheel in windows 8, if I start scrolling and it keeps going below the bottom of the window seems to cause it every the time. There seem to be other triggers as well.

I havent had time to get the code/debug/compile but the callstack seems to be somewhere in the SciLexer.dll

Doing some quick investigation, it appears it may be Notepad # (Plugin) is what is responsible for this, maybe it should be disabled from the recommended list? Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, i'm not sure where to put it and don't have time to fully research.

Thanks,
    Phil

Here's a snapshot of the callstack.

0, ntoskrnl.exe!KeInitializeApc+0xb13
    1, ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x171f
    2, ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x1cf
    3, ntoskrnl.exe!KeTestAlertThread+0x141
    4, ntoskrnl.exe!KeInitializeApc+0xba4
    5, ntoskrnl.exe!IoPageRead+0x27b1
    6, KernelBase.dll!PathGetCharTypeW+0x357
    7, 0x136994001e412e
    8, 0x136994776a3a13
    9, 0x776a39ed00136960
    10, 0x100001e412e
    11, 0x1e412e00136994
    12, 0x136978001e412e
    13, 0x1776b64f4
    14, 0x100001369fc
    15, 0x1369ac00000000
    16, 0x1e412e7769d5f0
    17, 0x1001369f8
    18, 0x1001369fc
    19, KernelBase.dll!time64+0x2e53
    20, 0xa318fb400000000
    21, 0xa318f5000136a50
    22, 0x7769d435001369d8
    23, 0x100001e412e
    24, 0x1001369f8
    25, 0x1001369fc
    26, KernelBase.dll!PathGetCharTypeW+0x357
    27, KernelBase.dll!GetNamedLocaleHashNode+0x29
    28, KernelBase.dll!AdjustTokenPrivileges+0x5e
    29, KernelBase.dll!LCMapStringEx+0xc6
    30, KernelBase.dll!LCMapStringW+0x57
    31, SciLexer.dll!Scintilla_DirectFunction+0x690a7
    32, SciLexer.dll!Scintilla_DirectFunction+0x58686
    33, SciLexer.dll!Scintilla_DirectFunction+0x540f1
    34, SciLexer.dll!Scintilla_DirectFunction+0x51ddf

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2013-08-22

Hi Phil,

Did you try to remove Notepad# plugin to see if the frozen issue is solved?

Don

• bypasser
    bypasser
    2013-08-30

I don't know if the "wrap around" option is supposed to be ignored for "Count", "Find All" and "Replace All", but as for me, it seems to be a bug.

Anyway I'd like to report a bug with the column editor feature. Please, see the video for the bug demonstration.

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2013-09-02

Hello Don,

Contrary to what I said in a previous post of this same discussion, a possible bug, relative to Tab Settings, in the 6.4.5 release, is NOT fixed yet ! This bug ( not too important, by chance ) appears since the 6.4.2 version and above.

See the description of this bug at the address below :

https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/discussion/331753/thread/3f628496/#1b1b

Thank you for your investigations :)

Cheers,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-09-02