Saving bookmarks is really needed

2009-11-20
2013-11-10
  • Gleb Stsenov
    Gleb Stsenov
    2009-11-20

Hello,
    please excuse me for my english)
    Saving bookmarks will be great, really. I used search on this forum, and I see that this request was already in year 2006.
    Now just pressed Ctrl+S in a code file with ~20 bookmarks, and Ctrl+W was pressed occasionally. No bookmarks on ~4000-lines file.
    I understand, that storing boomarks based on line number is not the best option because file can be changed from other program.
    But usually large changes are made from Notepad++, and only some small 1-2-line changes for example via ssh. When bookmark is shifted on 1-2-3 lines, right place can be found by bookmark, when the eyes are correctly installed.

I really can say only "please-please-please!!!!"..

Thanks in advance,
    Gleb.

• cchris
    cchris
    2009-11-20

The bokmarks are saved in session files. By either remembering opened files for next launch (this gets enabled in Settings -> Preferences -> MISC), or saving a session explicitly using Files -> Save session…, the bookmarks are remembered.

CChris

• Gleb Stsenov
    Gleb Stsenov
    2009-11-20

As I undestood, it doesn't prevent that bookmarks get lost if I close document by mistake without saving session after bookmarks were added?

• cchris
    cchris
    2009-11-23

If you check "Remember current session for next launch" on the Settings -> Preferences -> MISC tab, then the state of the bookmarks when Notepad++ shuts down is recorded. If you save a session, the bookmark state being saved is the one at the time you save the session. This may or may not be what you wanted…

CChris

• Anonymous
    2012-09-22

Why not make bookmarks behave like they do in browsers? Just highlight anything , right click, bookmark - and give it a name. Have a bookmarks drop down from the menu system….auto-saving bookmarks with sessions an option. I cant count how many times I have done searches in my source files over and over and over when this kinf of bookmarking would get me there faster. Bookmarking the searches also might be a good idea , and saving them with the sessions……and have a refresh feature for the search so you can update it when you have done alot of changes to your code.

• Qwertiy
    Qwertiy
    2012-09-23

then the state of the bookmarks when Notepad++ shuts down is recorded

Closing NPP is not equal to closing document via Ctrl+W.

• John Peterson
    John Peterson
    2012-10-28

I'll implement this.

Since there already is code to read/write bookmarks it should be a small task to call that code when a document is opened/closed.

• Frank
    Frank
    2013-10-06

Any word on this? Were you thinking of writing a plugin or something?

• cchris
    cchris
    2013-11-10

You can use the NamedBookmarks plugin. However, it only supports C++ and HTML-like languages, as it stores the bookmark in the file as a comment.

CChris