Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Search/Replace with regular expressions

wikispooks
2013-04-04
2013-04-05
  • wikispooks
    wikispooks
    2013-04-04

I'm not a programmer so please bear with me. The below example concerns manipulating back-forth referencing in html footnotes - fairly obvious I guess. I find my self having to do masses of this in existing documents for both wikitext and html where the links are messed up or otherwise not properly implemented. I need something beyond regular find/replace with manual editing of the footnote numbers themselves.

Example:

Search

<a href="#refx">[x]</a>

Replace with

<a href="#refx" name="refx">[x]</a>

where the x,s can be anywhere between 1 and say 500

I've had a quick look around the regular expressions section of the wiki and will probably get there by myself eventually, but any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

• wikispooks
    wikispooks
    2013-04-04

I've got as far as finding the strings OK with single digits using:

(<a href="#ref.">\[.\]</a>)

Also I can find the double and triple digits using 2 or 3 dots.

But I'm struggling to get close to a workable replace. Also it would be good to do the job in one pass.

I guess I should have put this the help section; sorry.

• You can use [0-9]{1,3} to mean between 1 and 3 digits, instead of just a dot.

You don't need the brackets around the whole expression, but adding brackets around the ([0-9]{1,3}) means you can use $1 in the replace expression to mean "whatever was found in the first bracketed expression". $2 would refer to the second set of brackets if you needed that.

• wikispooks
      wikispooks
      2013-04-04

Thanks a bunch Dave

I'm nearly there and your post ought to clinch it.

I'll post what I finally come up with but may not be until tomorrow now

• wikispooks
    wikispooks
    2013-04-04

Well, I couldn't get the curly braces {1,3} to work. I restricted the search to just the known unique parts - ie #ref plus the number.

This is what I finally came up with and it's a good time-saver for now so I'm reasonably happy:

Search

"#ref([0-9]*)"

Replace

"#ref\1" name="ref\1"

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2013-04-05

Hi wikispooks,

If the form {n,m} don't work for you, you probably use a version
    of N++ prior to the 6.0 one !

Just for info, it's possible to simplify the replace part :

If your version of N++ is lower than 6.0 :

SEARCH   : "#(ref[0-9]+")

REPLACE : "#\1 name="\1

If your version of N++ is 6.0 or greater than 6.0 :

SEARCH   : "#(ref[0-9]+")   or   "#(ref[0-9]{1,3}")

REPLACE : $0 name="\1

Note : $0 represents the totality of the searched string

Best regards,

guy038

P.S. You can find good documentation, about the new PRCE Regular Expressions, used by N++, from the 6.0 version, at the two adresses below :

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/syntax/perl_syntax.html

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_48_0/libs/regex/doc/html/boost_regex/format/boost_format_syntax.html

The FIRST one concerns the syntax of regular expressions in the SEARCH part

The SECOND one concerns the syntax of regular expressions in the REPLACEMENT part

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2013-04-05
  • wikispooks
    wikispooks
    2013-04-05

Hi Thevenot

As usual I've found that there's no substitute for a bit of concentrated study/learning.

Thanks for the additional info - v useful. I was using a 5.9.xxx version so that explains the curly braces problem.

The exercise has opened up a new world of possibilities for Notepad++