Dispaly two files at once

2006-11-08
2012-11-13
  • How do you have Notepad++ display 2 files at one time. (Tile or cascade)

• pshute
      pshute
      2006-11-08

It can be done, but I rarely use it so I can't say I know all about it.  It's called multi-view and it would be nice if someone wrote a FAQ about it.

If you have two files open, you can right-click on one of the tabs and select "go to another view" (or select View/Go to another view).  Now both files will be shown at once, one above the other.  It seems like what you have now is like two instances of Notepad++ running in one window. Each "view" has its own set of tabs - if you have a tab in the bottom window selected and open another file, its tab will go to the bottom view; if you have a top tab selected, newly opened files will get a tab in the top view.

You can arrange them side by side by right-clicking on the separator bar and selecting one of the rotate options, and you can adjust the position of the separator bar by dragging it.  There is also a tiny arrow at each end of the view separator. Clicking on them moves the separator to the very edge, making one view fill the window. When this has been done, you can still drag the separator back to the middle.

You can move tabs between views by right clicking on their tab and selecting "go to another view".  When you move the last tab in a view to the other view, that view disappears.

You can show the *same* file in both views by selecting View/"Clone to another view".  The changes in each view are kept in synch, so it's handy if you need to refer to 2 parts of the same file at once.  You can also select View/Synchronise Vertical/Horizontal Scrolling to keep them aligned that way if you wish.

I can't find any way to have more than two views, but I have a vague recollection of having achieved that once.  Can someone tell me if that's possible?

This is almost a FAQ now.  Does anyone want to offer any corrections before I submit it to Don for the website?  Or know of an alternative source of documentation for this feature?

• pshute
        pshute
        2006-11-08

I just noticed that each view in multi-view mode can have different font sizes (adjusted with control+wheel).  This could be handy, but I would have thought that when the second view opens it would initially use the same font size as the original view.

One use of this feature could be to show one clone of a very wide file in a tiny font to help orient yourself.  The other clone would have a larger, readable font, so you could work in it.  Now it could be really handy if the text displayed with the larger font was somehow indicated in the clone with the tiny font, perhaps with a box?  That would give you a really good idea where you were in the file.