$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH) but I'd like the dos 8.3 name for the path instead.

2014-06-30
2014-07-01
  • John Bowman
    John Bowman
    2014-06-30

In my shortcuts.xml I have a usage of $(FULL_CURRENT_PATH) but I'd like the
    dos 8.3 name for the path instead. The program I'm calling doesn't like
    the spaces in the path - even when I encapsulate it in " s ... is
    there another variable available for this already? I couldn't find any
    online documentation :/
    -john

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2014-07-01

Hi John and All,

Some hints :

• The option \x of the command dir give you, both, the full and 8.3 names of any folder/file

• If your press F5 to open the Run dialog of Notepad++, type the command below and click on the Run button :

cmd /k for %A in ("$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)") do @echo PATH 8.3 = %~sA

You open a permanent DOS window , that displays the short name of the current N++ file

• To write this full short path, in the current file, you need to create a script. I give you a solution with the NppExec plugin, but, I suppose it will be as easy with the N++ Python plugin ! Sorry, although I installed it, I haven't begun to use it and read its detailed documentation :-((

So, press F6 to get the NppExec Execute dialog ( and eventually select <temporary script> ), just copy the three lines, below and click on the OK button :-)

NPP_CONSOLE ? // Keeps the state of NppExec Console

cmd /c for %A in ("$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)") do @echo %~sA // Display the full SHORT path of the CURRENT file, in a TEMPORARY DOS window

SEL_SETTEXT $(OUTPUT) // COPY this path, at CURSOR position or REPLACE the present SELECTION

I wrote this post in a file named John Bowman.txt and located in :
    C:\Program Files\Notepad++\Lettres

So, the inserted text is : C:\PROGRA~1\NOTEPA~1\Lettres\JOHNBO~1.TXT

Hope this could helps you, somehow !

Best Regards,

guy038

P.S. :

In a DOS window, instead of the dir /x command, you can run the command below, that displays SHORT paths of files, only :

for %A in (*.*) do @echo %~sA

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-07-01