Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Notepad++ for Linux?

MojoRyssen
2006-11-20
2012-11-13
  • MojoRyssen
    MojoRyssen
    2006-11-20

Hi there. There are few things that i miss about XP since switching to Fedora, but Notepad++ happens to be one of them.

What is the chance of there ever being a "real" Linux Notepad++ (vs the "WinE" emulation of N++ on Windows -- which by the way i, as far as i've seen, works fine...  but ya never know when a WinE app is going to crash)

just curious...

• Notepad++ is quickly becoming my favorite editor for code - and the best code editor I have seen on Windows or Linux. Kate is too bloated, VIM is too cryptic, Gedit too basic, etc. Please please port NP++?! I would love to have it integrate into the Linux DE instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

• I'm interested in this too. I recently switched my laptop over to FC6, and gedit is close, but I just miss N++

• For Linux I'd suggest using Kate, it's bundled with KDE and has all the same features of Notepad++ plus some extras.

• tom hirashima
        tom hirashima
        2006-11-21

Before running it in WINE, I'd suggest trying SciTE, which is an editor based on scintilla, the same core as Notepad++. You will probably find it very similar to Notepad++, but with less features.

• Ive also switched awhile ago, I use gEdit now but I do miss Notepad++ as well, SciTE does look pretty awesome, Ill use that until Notepad++ is ported. *wink* and *HINT HINT* Hehe.

• The list of editors for linux is endless, I simply can't imagine people missing some Notepad++ feature in one of these editors.

• Jon
      Jon
      2007-02-27

It's not features that are missing, but rather the look and feel of Notepad ++.  Not sure if anyone realizes it, but the look and feel of Notepad ++ rocks hard core.

BTW, I am running it in Wine, and it appears to work fine.

• NP++ runs nicely so far under wine.  On Ubuntu, I followed the instructions for installing wine via apt-get.  I downloaded the installer and ran it, wine npp.4.0.1.Installer.exe.  Then went into $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Prog*/Note*, and ran wine notepad++.exe, and woohoo it ran