Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

extension vs file-type

eNG1Ne
2013-04-17
2013-04-19
  • eNG1Ne
    eNG1Ne
    2013-04-17

I've started getting to grips with DITA to write structured XML files. For use elsewhere, I would prefer to use the extension .dita … but as soon as I try that, N++ resolutely discards all the useful XML editing options such as auto-close for tags :-{

Is there any way of persuading N++ that the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> file header should take precedence over the extension? The usual proviso that I'm stuck with 5.8.5 …

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-04-17

Hi,

just register .dita s XML extension. Go to Settings / Style configurator / select XML / add user extension.

BTW, why are you stuck with old version. Npp can work without installation. I simply download ZIP version, unpack it on server and start that version instead of some older version that is installed by default.

BR,
    Loreia

• Hi,

If you want the "<?xml" tag to be recognized, instead of registering all file extensions that might use XML, you can use my Modeline Parser plugin ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/npppythonplugsq/files/Modeline%20Parser/ ). The XML language detector is given as an example of detection based on file content.

• eNG1Ne
    eNG1Ne
    2013-04-19

just register .dita as an XML extension

Excellent! worked perfectly.

BTW, why are you stuck with old version?

Locked-down corporate PC with software installations centrally controlled. It seems that everything has to be evaluated and approved before installation … :-{

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-04-19

Hi,

Locked-down corporate PC with software installations centrally controlled. 
    It seems that everything has to be evaluated and approved before installation  :-{

Just use ZIP version, no installation == no lock-downs :-)

BR,
    Loreia