Notepad++ 6.2 released!

Don HO
2012-10-09
2015-05-04
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 .. 8 > >> (Page 3 of 8)
  • @Loreia:  If I understand correctly, Pandoc does not need a whitespace in the delimiter for bold or italic, it needs a "no whitespace".  With a test text like " a*b*c**d**e ", the "b" should be italic and "d" bold, thus the stars do not need to have a whitespace before/after to apply.  It is more like a pre/post condition, in regex supporting them.  The italic start would be "\*/", that is a star followed by something else than a whitespace, but that character is not part of the delimiter.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-22

Hi frboyer,

you are, off course right. In terms of program syntax, UDL only needs to check "post condition" (non white space for delimiter and white space for operators). The problem is, in UDL white space is unconditionally treated as keyword separator.

I think it might be relatively easy to implement "post check", but quite hard to do "pre check" for white space. I would have to make a deep analysis of UDL algorithm to see how this could be done. And then I need to come up with some way to specify such keywords in UDL GUI. Sounds like a challenging job. I wish I had more time to start playing with it right now.

Best regards
    Loreia

• Borut
    Borut
    2012-10-22

Hello Loreia,

thank you for your time! I would also like to apologize for my formulations. I understand that you are doing all this in your spare time and that one is sometimes very tired, but still wants to help as soon as possible. I admit, I haven't thought about this last reason for misunderstanding.

Yes, this markdown issue is a very hard one. But the markdown concept, along with a Pandoc scriptable converter has fascinating possibilities, which I discovered only a few months ago. I was just hoping that - with your new system - npp would be able to handle it better. Namely, I actually did not found a really portable editor for Win, that would do that. WriteMonkey is good, but not as portable, as I would wish.

I guess that if npp ever gets a better support for markdown syntax highlighting it will get an additional completely new audience.

Again, I apologize for my little "break down". Be sure that I appreciate your work much!

Thank you.
    Borut
    P.S. In the meantime I was experimenting a bit with various uses of * and ** on that on line conversion system. It seems to me that Pandoc has quite a complex forward-backward search mechanism, which depends on finding a "legal marker" and then going from it and searching either forward, or backward, depending on marker being an opening or a closing one. Complex, very complex and probably - in that extent - out of scope of any "normal", flexible highlighter.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-22

Hi Borut,

P.S. In the meantime I was experimenting a bit with various uses of * and ** on that on line conversion system. It seems to me that Pandoc has quite a complex forward-backward search mechanism, which depends on finding a "legal marker" and then going from it and searching either forward, or backward, depending on marker being an opening or a closing one. Complex, very complex and probably - in that extent - out of scope of any "normal", flexible highlighter.

I guess UDL can still be stretched enough to include this weird syntax too, but before doing anything I would have to get familiar with Pandoc (and other markdown clones). After seeing syntax of many languages (during my UDL coding effort) I get an impression that any syntax that treats the same keyword / character differently depending on position is, in fact, amateurish. It may sound harsh, but such syntax brings needless complexity, is confusing for beginners and makes any decoder (compiler, syntax highlighter) harder to implement.

For me, it is a sign that author(s) rushed with some design decisions, instead of thinking everything through.
    Such syntax is characteristic of some weird in-house scripting languages that some companies use, or some ad-hoc languages user in hardware industry ("it doesn't matter if it is ugly, this is used only by people who by our controllers").

I know nothing of Pandoc, other that what I read from links you provided, but I hope its syntax is consistent and not full of "it works like this, unless…" type of keywords.

Anyway, I like challenging tasks, but I'll have to skip this one for now.

Best regards
    Loreia

P.S.
    If you have time and energy to investigate it, I'd like to hear which aspects of Pandoc UDL does not support.
    One thing I learnt already:
    " * "  should be treated as an operator
    " *italic* "  should be treated as a delimiter

What are the other "surprises" in Pandoc syntax?

• Zeeke75
    Zeeke75
    2012-10-22

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to figure out how to get a proprietary language to fold correctly using UDL. Here's an example of some code:

SUB CHANGE_DRIVE_MODE
        error_check = "valid"
        STR_LEN mode_to_set, char_temp
        IF (char_temp > 0)
            IF (mode_to_set == "normal")
                mode_to_set = 000h
            ELSEIF (mode_to_set == "specialaccess")
                mode_to_set = 003h
            ELSEIF (mode_to_set == "special")
                mode_to_set = 001h
            ELSE
                error_check = "invalid"
            ENDIF
        ELSE
            error_check = "invalid"
        ENDIF
    ENDSUB

I would like to be able to fold on SUB/ENDSUB, IF/ELSEIF/ESLE/ENDIF, etc, but can't figure out how to make it work with UDL2. Can someone help please?

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-22

Hi zeeke75,

do it like this:

BR
    Loreia

• Zeeke75
    Zeeke75
    2012-10-22

Thanks. I had tried that (or so I thought), but it wasn't working until I restarted NP++. Now it seems to be working correctly.

• Zeeke75
    Zeeke75
    2012-10-22

Well, I'm still having all sorts of weird issues trying to define this language (code disappearing, not folding correctly, etc). Because of the proprietary code, I can't really post any more examples publicly though.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-22

Hi zeeke75,

you can send code samples privately to udlv20 __at_ googlemail __dot_ com.
    Please also include userDefineLanguage.xml file.

BR,
    Loreia

• Zeeke75
    Zeeke75
    2012-10-22

Thanks, email sent!

• Steven Trevino
    Steven Trevino
    2012-10-23

Having some issues with Fold All & Collapse Level functions (and Alt+# shortcuts) that seem to break my user defined code (missing code, faulty folding, wrong line displayed). Folding manually appears to work as expected.

• Steven Trevino
    Steven Trevino
    2012-10-23

I appeared to correct this by creating a new copy of the code and restarting N++, although the Alt+# shortcuts now take much longer to execute.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-24

Hi steventrev ,

sounds like you are having issue that was reported by zeeke75.
    Can you download Beta 26 from here:
    https://github.com/Loreia/UDL2/downloads

Just unzip in your installation dir (nothing is overwritten), stop NPP (if it is running), and start notepad2++.exe
    Let me know if it works.

BR
    Loreia

• Steven Trevino
    Steven Trevino
    2012-10-24

Hi Loreia,

Beta 26 (using N++ 6.1.8) appears to be folding correctly with all files, but still with an extended delay when folding groups at the top of the file.

After doing some testing, I've noticed that Folding All (Alt+0) at the top of the file  is taking nearly 15s (freezes, Not Responding, then folds) where folding at the bottom of the file is instantaneous.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-24

Hi steventrev ,

can you send me the file so I could test it myself?

udlv20 __at_googlemail __dot_ com

Also, can you see the same delay in some older version (anything in range from 6.0 up to but not including 6.2)?

Best regards,
    Loreia

• Steven Trevino
    Steven Trevino
    2012-10-24

Email sent. I had no issues with folding prior to 6.2 (I was previously on 6.1.8).

Thanks,
    Steven

• B0rG
    B0rG
    2012-10-26

Hi,

I've found a bug with code folding feature when the file format is UNIX.
    This is the test data:

if exists (select 1 from xxxx where xxxx=@xxxx and xxxxxx="2")
       begin
          if @xxxx!="O"
          begin
             insert #res select "xxxx"
             return 1
          end
          if @xxxxxxx!="O"
          begin
             return 1
          end
          select @nb=count(distinct xxxx) from xxxx where xxxxxxx=@xxxxx and xxxxxx="2"
          if @nb>1
          begin
             return 1
          end
       end

The folding code for open is "begin", for close is "end".
    When the file is in Windows format, it is correctly folded from begin to end,
    but when I convert to UNIX file format, the fold end is at the next line, and this increments with each new folding end.

Here's a screenshot with file in Windows and UNIX file types:

Regards and thanks for good work!

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-26

Hi turbofart (LOL at user name),

This issue has been fixed in last beta, please download it from here:

Unpiz to install dir, stop Npp and restart from file Notepad2++.exe

Let me know if it is working for you.

BR
    Loreia

• light2some
    light2some
    2012-10-26

Thanks for the great job!

I notice the issue:

Can't apply stream comment in UDL2.

The "line comment" applyed on menu
        "Edit -> Comment/Uncomment -> Stream Comment"
    instead of "stream comment".

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-26

Hi light2some,

thanks for reporting the problem.
    This issue has been fixed in last beta, please download it from here:

Unpiz to install dir, stop Npp and restart from file Notepad2++.exe

Let me know if it is working for you.

BR
    Loreia

• light2some
    light2some
    2012-10-26

Thanks, loreia2!

Now in beta_28 stream сomment applyed properly.

• Anonymous
    2012-10-26

A few suggestions:
    1. Have a keyboard shortcut to open/close the Project panel.
    2. Allow multiple files selection in the Project panel and/or add an option to open all files within a project folder.
    3. If possible, do not register files opened from the Project panel in the Recent files menu.

• B0rG
    B0rG
    2012-10-29

loreia2: thanks! now code folding in UNIX style ending files works fine.

• arby tarkus
    arby tarkus
    2012-10-29

Hi,
    I was wondering whether UDL2 allows folding based on indentation?
    Like in Python, but with no keywords. This is not for a programming language, but for keeping hierarchical notes.

Example:

text 1
         text 1a
         text 1b
    text 2

would become

text 1
           text 1a
           text 1b
        text 2

and

text 1
         text 2

Thanks!

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-29

Hi tarkus6599 ,

as a big fan of Python I must admit I am ashamed to say that UDL has no support for folding based on Python-like indentation. Currently, folding is based on keywords not on indentation, but in the future (probably not any time soon) UDL will include that feature too.

Best regards,
    Loreia

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 .. 8 > >> (Page 3 of 8)