Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Cannot change style settings as normal user

pns
2014-01-14
2014-01-22
  • pns
    pns
    2014-01-14

If I run Notepad++ as a normal user and change the font style and size, the settings are not saved (if I close notepad++ and reopen it the style as reverted to the original one).

In order to change the font style & size I need to run notepad++ as an admin. Is this how it's supposed to work? Doesn't notepad use the appdata folder to store settings? It shouldn't be necessary to run notepad++ as admin every time I have to change a setting right?

Using Notepad++ 6.5.3 in Win 8.1 x64

• cchris
    cchris
    2014-01-18

I have the same config as you, without trouble. This is because I bypassed UAC by:
    1/ Not installing in C:\Program Files (x86) .
    2/ Not using %APPDATA

To switch back to that, just reinstall, copy all your config files from %APPDATA and, if not present, add an empty file named doLocalConf.xml .

Another route you can take is to take ownership of the config folder. This works well when not using %AppDATA, not tested otherwise.

CChris

• pns
    pns
    2014-01-22

Thanks for the advice, I know that would work, but that's just a work around... the real question is "should we need to do that?"

Applications are supposed to be installed in Program Files folder, user data is supposed to go in %appdata%. Many other application are able to work that way (and it's the way every app should work - at least in windows) why not notepad++ ?

Just saying that if for example (stupid example but it's just to make a point) if notepad++ didn't open when your system clock said it was monday, the solution wouldn't be to change your clock to another day on monday's and then back again on the following day...

The current issues on Win 8.1 (and probalby 8 too) which are:

• File association (http://goo.gl/H4R7dh)
    • Unable to save configurations as a normal user

are bugs imo.

PS: not making any claim on having them fixed though, just posted so that hopefully Don HO is aware of them and can fixe them... eventually if he so desires :-)