New UserDefinedLanguage module

Loreia2
2011-07-30
2014-06-11
<< < 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 .. 13 > >> (Page 7 of 13)
  • Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-19

Hi NickL,

thanks for reporting, this is a regression and it will be fixed in next beta (probably during next week).

BR
    Loreia

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-26

Hi,

new beta 21 is on github.
    Please grab the binaries and verify that bugs reported since last beta are solved.

https://github.com/Loreia/UDL2/downloads

If bugs are solved, plan is to include this version in the upcoming N++ v.6.2 RC.

There's just one comment from my side: FINALLY :-))

Thank you and best regards,
    Loreia

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2012-09-26

I'll check phpBB and consider to make a move on tuxfamily.org for the forum (as usual, I promise nothing).

Don

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2012-09-26

Please grab the binaries and verify that bugs reported since last beta are solved.

Will do. Thanks for the great work!

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2012-09-26

Quick reply, didn't have time to test thoroughly yet. Unfortunately, it looks as if folding is broken:

The same language definition used to work well with the last version. I can provide config files if that helps.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-27

Hi Jan,

thanks for reporting the error, please re-test with Beta 22.
    https://github.com/Loreia/UDL2/downloads

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-09-27

> 3. rewrite GUI (and include additional keyword sets, extend from 8 to 16 (maybe more), also add 8 operator sets)

Yes :))) If you could make it 32 for keyword sets that would be awesome :)))

> you can close the dialog by choosing the "language" menu item & unchecking "Define your language" - when you re-open the dialogue it comes back as it was… and [] to close on the diaogue itself would be nicer, more standard and obvious, but I can live with this.

Thanks UTF-8 guy, cool trick, not intuitive indeed, thanks for sharing :)

> Hey, fb16 you still didn't tell me which program did you use to make those beautiful infographic images ;)

Was waiting for fb16's great answer now he has revealed it all, incidentally I can reveal another small trick: you could have found out about which graphics editor was used by using… Notepad++ :)
    Notepad++ -> File -> Open… -> http://i45.tinypic.com/22xel1.jpg
    and the graphics editor name will appear in front of your eyes (it has to be said it's quite lucky!) :)

To add on fb16's very good tips about PS & GIMP :
    * Here is a link that explains how to add a spotlight effect with GIMP : http://gofree.com/Tutorials/GimpSpotlightEffect.php
    * Regarding fancy arrows, etc… Inkscape would probably be more appropriate than GIMP coz it's specialized in vector graphics.
    * So basically, if you don't have PS, a combination of GIMP & Inkscape would get you there. And as these 2 software are both C/C++ open source and you like tinkering with C/C++ open source projects you could potentially customized these software for your specific needs :) Although not good to give you these kinds of ideas coz you are doing an awesome work on Notepad++ :)

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-09-27

32 keyword sets and 32 delimiter sets :)))
    And at least 8 operator sets indeed :)

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2012-09-27

Thanks Loreia, Beta 22 seems to work as expected so far.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-27

Beta 22 seems to work as expected so far

Great to hear it.

32 keyword sets and 32 delimiter sets :)))
    And at least 8 operator sets indeed :)

I'll try to keep those numbers in mind :-)

So basically, if you don't have PS, a combination of GIMP & Inkscape would get you there.

Great, I have both installed already. I'll try my luck using them (I have close to zero experience with graphic tools)

And as these 2 software are both C/C++ open source and you like tinkering with C/C++ open source projects you could potentially customized these software for your specific needs

LOL; don't give me any crazy ideas, my free time is non-existent as it is. I don't want to spend next two years working on that stuff (I can't believe it has bee so long since I started playing with UDL, I guess time does fly wen you are having fun :-))))

Although not good to give you these kinds of ideas coz you are doing an awesome work on Notepad++ :)

I agree, my time is best spent on UDL.
    Besides, there is so much more stuff to do with UDL ;)

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-09-27

Hi Loreia,

LOL, thank you for your great answer :)

Notepad++ is definitely more useful to your fellow geeky coders (I guess most of us on this forum!) and yourself I guess than GIMP & Inkscape. Besides, just using these 2 graphics editor software you'll find yourself falling into the same kind of time holes as when coding so you might want to wait before immortality has been cracked before adding coding for these 2 software in your time-warping schedule ;)

Thanks again for all these hours spent on UDL, it's definitely very useful and great fun to enjoy all these eye-popping colors coming out of structured text edited with Notepad++ !

BR
    WB

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-28

Ok, I just spent two hours trying to make those damn infographic pictures, and still I can't find a way to add fancy arrow to the picture. Spot light effect is nice, and I can do those quite easily, but arrows just suck. Inkscape can add curved arrows only if I create them manually with bezier tool (which is hard, takes too much time and end result is just plain ugly). GIMP was not of much help either, at least not with my limited skill set.

fb16 to the rescue…. any tips on arrows?

BR
    Loreia

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-28

Besides, just using these 2 graphics editor software you'll find yourself falling into the same kind of time holes as when coding so you might want to wait before immortality has been cracked before adding coding for these 2 software in your time-warping schedule

Tell me about it, I just wasted entire evening with those two applications.
    And the best thing is when I tried to Google for answers, I stumbled upon http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php, and demonstration of the tool on the front page uses a LOT of those fancy arrows. So, I thought I finally found what I needed. Only to discover that those arrows are the only thing application CAN'T do.

According to Google (at least to first few pages of searches I tried), only Photoshop can do it easily. Sigh…

BR
    Loreia

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-09-28

Hi Loreia,
    I'm sorry for the troubles you encountered.
    I'm going to send you an email about this topic. I'm glad if I could help with those infamous infos! :-)
    For the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TMICjVvALc&t=2m41s
    fb16

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2012-09-29

For basic editing of screenshots, Greenshot is a very handy tool. It can't do curved arrows AFAIK, but straight ones in all colors and sizes.

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-09-29

@janschreiber,
    http://getgreenshot.org/
    I've just tried it! Good shot!
    fb16

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-29

Hi fb16,

for the moment I am just trying to master creation of infoggrapgic images. Once I understand how tool works and how much time I need for each image, I can start planing organization of help page.

I like these images as they carry a lot of information visually, meaning it will be easier and faster for users to understand what is going on just by looking at the picture. This will make them more likely to consult documentation, instead of just jumping to forum to ask for help on basic stuff.

So, right now, I would just like to understand how you created those nice arrow pointers in your images.
    That is the only element that I am still missing. I literary tried every free image and vector editor I could find, and most of them don't offer creation of arrows, and those that do, have very limited option to create straight lines and then to change end point to arrow. I guess that works too, but it is not nearly as nice as your examples.

Perhaps the simplest option would be to create few of those arrows on transparent background, save them as png images (preferably of high resolution) and then e-mail them to me.
    Then I could just import them, and be done with it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

BR
    Loreia

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-29

For basic editing of screenshots, Greenshot is a very handy tool. It can't do curved arrows AFAIK, but straight ones in all colors and sizes.

I've been using PicPick for years now, but today I also tried Screen captor and liked it a lot. Both are freeware for personal use.
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/
    http://www.picpick.org/en/

Basically, I have no problem with screen captures and basic editing, I am after those nice professionally looking effects that will immediately capture attention of user reading the manual. (So, I wouldn't feel bad when I tel them to RTFM :)

BR
    Loreia

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-09-29

Hi Loreia,
    I see where you're going now. Let me answer in details later.
    In the meantime, could you tell what are the effects you want to achieve, apart arrows?
    Thanks
    fb16

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-09-29

Hi fb16,

I plan to follow the basic style set by current help page:
    http://udl20.weebly.com/folding-in-comment.html

Currently, I have a picture on the left and some text wrapped around it.
    Infographic version would be the same just with arrows, to make it more explicit and to use less text.

Lesser text users have to read, more likely they are to actually read it.
    And wall of text with details can still be there below infographic.

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-01

Hi Loreia,

The time-consuming "joy" of graphics editing… ;)

Regarding creating fancy arrows with Inkscape I have found a couple of links that might help (if you haven't already stumbled upon them) :
    http://howto.nicubunu.ro/inkscape_shiny_arrow/
    http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Paths-Creating.html

You could even improve on that using additional GIMP effects like "outer glow" etc…

It's true that it's lengthy process so I find your idea "to create few of those arrows on transparent background, save them as png images" very good.
    I think you get actually get away with creating only one arrow image then you could simply stretch and rotate it as required each time you need a new copy of the arrow with a different size and direction (maybe it was what you were already thinking of).
    And if you don't want to create this one blueprint arrow yourself you could simply look for an existing one (using Google Image or grabbing one arrow that you already found and like so far).

WB
    BR

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-01

Just a few more (obvious) thoughts about this idea of creating / grabbing a blueprint arrow and transforming it :

1) Regarding scaling/stretching you will obviously obtain a better quality result if you do that on a vectored shape in Inkscape. Nonetheless you might increase your chances of obtaining a pretty good result using pixel stretching if you play around with the interpolations and/or if your blueprint arrow is a very big (high res) arrow and you shrink it instead of stretching it.

2) You will obviously be able to play around with the arrow color.

3) As you seem to like a lot handwritten-style arrows, you always have the option to draw 1 or more arrows on a piece of white paper, take a picture of it/them then stretch/shrink/rotate/colorize/… it/them digitally at will :)

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-01

Just a quick tip regarding background color conversion to transparency : if you need to convert a background color which is not perfectly uniform (as would probably happen if you take a picture of a drawing on a white paper) then ImageMagick fuzz factor is very handy for that, for example you would convert your non-uniform white background to transparency this way :

convert my_image.png -fuzz 30% -transparent white result.png

More info here : http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12619

It works on png images no problem.

If not only white but also some other colors need to be converted to transparency you can obviously repeat the operation for these other colors or alternatively you can brush all these other colors in white beforehand.

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-02

Hi Loreia,

Am back to UDL topic now :)

For clarity/concision, in my following messages I will refer to
    Settings -> Preferences -> MISC. -> Clickable Link Settings -> Enable
    as the "link option".

From what I've observed so far it looks like when the 2 following conditions are met together :
    1) link option checked
    2) an UDL is defined
    then some weird formatting bugs happen. For example on certain additional conditions (that I could describe to you if you wish so) all the space characters in the file become underlined.

Have you ever had a look at the interactions between UDL and the link option?

BR
    WB

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-03

Hi,

Am back to UDL topic now :)

So am I :-))

Have you ever had a look at the interactions between UDL and the link option?

Not as far as I know. Please, post here instructions how to reproduce this error.

About images and all.
    Thanks for your help, I will check everything. fb16 already sent me any e-mail with instruction, and I suspect that will be enough.

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-03

Hi Loreia :)

OK so good luck with the graphics editing :)

Regarding the instructions to reproduce the bug, try the following :

1) Settings -> Preferences -> MISC. -> Clickable Link Settings -> Enable -> checked
    2) Save what\\\'s in between Start of file and End of file (at the end of this message) into a file whose extension should be associated to a UDL (whatever UDL should trigger the bug)
    3) Close the file (and all Notepad++ instances) and reopen the file
    4) Scroll down to the bottom of the file using the key combination -

Now, if the bug is reproduced, all the space characters in the file should have become underlined.

Let me know if you are able to reproduce the bug or not :)

Start of file
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a

Add 8 lines here, each line should contain this : http://www.aaaaa.com/aaaaaa

a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

End of file

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-03

Regarding the file content I had to battle with SourceForge spam filter, basically where you see

Add 8 lines here, each line should contain this : http://www.aaaaa.com/aaaaaa

replace this by 8 lines, each line containing the URL specified

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-03

Hi WB,

no luck here. Everything works normally. Do I need to have some special settings in UDL?

BR
    Loreia

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-10-03

I'm not able to reproduce the issue too.
    I've tried with "NPP_UDL2_beta_22.zip" at https://github.com/Loreia/UDL2/downloads

fb16

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-04

Hi WB,

I guess the only thing left to try is to to disable/rename your plugins folder.
    Restart Npp and try to reproduce the problem.

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Thanks guys for your help with the bug, annoying that you can't reproduce, just one detail to be sure :
    I've noticed then when copy/pasting text from this forum the end of line characters are replaced by space i.e.

a a
    a a
    a a
    a a
    a a

becomes

a a a a a a a a a a

when you copy/paste the text from SourceForge into Notepad++ be sure the text appears as it appears in SourceForge i.e. with proper end of lines (CR-LF under Windows) not spaces.

And then could you confirm you can / cannot reproduce the bug ?

Cheers guys

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-04

Hi WB,

I had \r\n at the end of each line, and still nothing happened.
    Can you make a video of how you reproduce the bug (a maybe a bunch of screen shots)?

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Hi Loreia,

Thanks for your lightning fast answer.

Difficult for me to be more explicit than I've already been with my step by step explanations even with a video.

I can show you a screenshot of the bug but I don't think it will help you further, here it is :
    http://i46.tinypic.com/1zn3a0n.png

On my side I will further explore the bug specially additional conditions that might be required to trigger it i.e. plugins, specific UDL settings as you suggested, etc…

Will keep you informed
    Cheers

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Hi Loreia,

1) I have rename the plugins folder and make sure no plugin is loaded : the bug is still triggered.

2) I have removed all settings in the UDL associated with the file so that a UDL is defined but completely empty : the bug is still triggered.

3) If no UDL is associated with the file the bug is *not* triggered.

So for now I haven't been able to identify additional conditions for the bug to be triggered but they surely must be some if you can't reproduce the bug following the stated instructions. I'll try to think about what these other conditions might be but for now I'm left scratching my head which hopefully might help me finding the switch to light it up ;)

Anyway, will let you know if I find out further details.

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-04

Hi WB,

this is really strange. Which version are you using, RC or github?

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Indeed.
    Same version as fb16 mentioned above.
    Just to let you know : won't be able to answer you in the following next 2 hours.
    Cheers.

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Hi Loreia,

To be sure there is nothing wrong with my Notepad++ config I've gone one step further :

1) Totally obliterated Notepad++ from my computer i.e. uninstalled it using Control Panel then erased C:\Program Files\Notepad++ directory and then erased C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Notepad++ directory and then emptied the trash and then reformatted my hard-drive (OK am joking on that last step!)

2) Reinstalled it using npp.6.1.8.Installer.exe (*without* install of NPP_UDL2_beta_22.zip so far)

3) Closed every Notepad++ instances, then reopened Notepad++, then opened the file test.mwx (containing the content posted earlier on this forum) and scrolled down to the bottom of the file using - : as expected no bug so far.

4) Settings -> Preferences -> MISC. -> Clickable Link Settings -> Enable checked.
    Then re-executed step 3 : as expected no bug (because no UDL associated with the file)

5) Then View -> Used-Defined Dialogue… -> Save As… MWX -> Ext. mwx
    So now we have an empty UDL called MWX associated with the extension .mwx (same extension as test.mwx)
    Then re-executed step 3 : no bug, meaning the bug does not happen with Notepad++ 6.1.8 without UDL2

6) Then extracted NPP_UDL2_beta_22.zip into C:\Program Files\Notepad++

7) Then re-executed step 3, this time with notepad2++.exe instead of notepad++.exe : now the bug happens.

(then re-executed several times step3 with notepad++.exe and notepad2++.exe to confirm the bug happens only with notepad2++.exe)

So I guess if there are additional conditions to trigger the bug, they are buried quite deep and might be quite difficult to find.

As I'm myself a C/C++ developer I would be very tempted to look further under the hood but am afraid that if I follow that path I will find myself falling into an extra-dimensional time-hole… the kind-of where someone will open my bedroom door in 100 years and will find a skeleton on a chair in front of a vintage 2011 laptop ;)

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-10-04

Really, this is better of any video, of any movie, even Indiana Jones :-)
    I'll try to follow your treasure map, later… if all goes well!
    Thank you for your time
    fb16

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

LOL :)

Now I've gone one step down further in the darkness of the catacomb… :

What I did with Windows XP 32 bits, I did it all over again with Windows 7 64 bits…
    … and again… the "boogeybug" hid and jumped all over me in the exact same horrifying way ;)

So the additional condition we are looking for does not seem to be system / OS-related and does not seem neither related to some unusual Notepad++ config.

It's getting more and more cryptic !

If I uncover further skeletons in the closet I will let you know :)

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Just a quick update: I've also played around a bit with Notepad++ installation options but same result each time.
    The Notepad++ default installation options are enough to trigger the bug on my config(s).

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-04

As I'm myself a C/C++ developer I would be very tempted to look further under the hood but am afraid that if I follow that path I will find myself falling into an extra-dimensional time-hole… the kind-of where someone will open my bedroom door in 100 years and will find a skeleton on a chair in front of a vintage 2011 laptop ;)

ha ha ha, that is exactly what would happen.

Just to be thorough, can you post the file you are using for the test. Not the content, but the file itself (through some file sharing service). I'll repeat the test with exactly the same file.

Also, can you repeat the test with less text? Do you need all those repetitions, or is it reproducible with just two-three lines of text.

Other than that, if you have Visual studio installed, you could dump values of some objects/variables for me to analyze. In that way, we could at least determine if UDL lexer is doing its job correctly.

BR
    Loreia

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-10-04

Hi,
    the problem is the line ending. it must be CR/LF.
    To do so go to: Setting > Preferences > New Document/Default Directory > New Document > Format, and chose Windows.
    Restart, create the test.mwx, save and reopen
    fb16

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-10-04

…you can use this file and the issue indeed exists.
    http://db.tt/VpefzoA3
    fb16

• fb16
    fb16
    2012-10-04

Wait, don't use the file above. Create one "test.mwx" file yourself.
    For some reason after downloaded the file, the issue has disappeared…
    fb16

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-04

Nope, still nothing.
    Direct copy/paste from  fb16's link, windows line endings…

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

I've played around with
    Edit -> EOL conversion
    and on my side the bug happens whatever the format of the line ending.

I can see a potential problem in your screenshot : at the bottom right it says "normal text file", in my Notepad++ when a file is associated to an UDL, in the bottom right corner it says for example "User Define File - MWX" instead of "normal text file", you can see that on my previous screenshot.

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

sorry bottom left not bottom right

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-10-04

Hi,

I was finally able to reproduce the problem. Trick was, I had to open empty NPP, then open file. Previously I was closing just NPP, so when I started it again it would open file automatically.

So, condition 1: open file manually
    cond2: scroll with ctrl+arrow (any other method of scrolling and nothing happens)
    cond3. it happens exactly when it switches from link nbr 6 to link nbr 7

Really strange stuff.
    And quick check in debugger shows me that UDL works OK, "styleBuf" contains correct styling values.

I take a look at it this weekend, I have no idea what is going on. Only spaces are underlined !!. I'll have to study code of "enable links" option.

Thanks for testing effort.

BR
    Loreia

• Wetware Bot
    Wetware Bot
    2012-10-04

Hi Loreia,

OK that's great you are able to reproduce the bug :)))
    Indeed the file has to be re-opened manually, as am using Notepad++ in "AsNotepad" mode i.e. SDI mode, the session is not handled the same way so on my side the file is not reopened automatically when I open Notepad++ hence I didn't think about insisting on that point… :-/ but well done for finding this out :)

I can tell you there are also more complex bugs related to this one i.e. the space character background color becomes the same color as some color defined in some delimiter set, etc… but it would be a bit complex to describe.
    What I hope is that by studying this first bug and hopefully solving it, it will also solve all the other related bugs as IMHO it is probably a question of properly ordering / combining the formatting processing in between the link option and UDL but I'm sure you fill find out exactly what's happening.

Many thanks again for your successful perseverance to reproduce the bug even if some pieces of the puzzle were missing :)

Have a good evening and night :)
    WB

<< < 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 .. 13 > >> (Page 7 of 13)